Newjack needs advice

It seems like there are a lot of threads here about what bike to buy that isn’t a fixed gear, so I figured I’d change it up a bit. I’ve been doing a lot of reading here and at brianforums over the past few months or so but I have a few more specific questions.

I’m looking to enter the world of the fixed gear tarck bike. I have up to $1000 to spend, but less is more. I currently have a 1985 Peugeot P8 that I was contemplating converting, but I’d have to buy new everything. According to my LBS, a conversion would cost in the neighborhood of $430 or so. Attached is a picture of the bike. I’m not feeling that it is a good investment.

[attachment=0]4.jpg[/attachment]

If it would be better to start fresh, where should I start? I haven’t heard anything bad about the Surly Steamroller and many people from a thread I was reading earlier seemed to have it as their first fixed gear bike. I was also looking at the Alien group buy frame as a potential build. Would this be a good idea for a rookie or should I keep it simple? Keep in mind I have little experience riding anything designed for the road. My two bikes before this were a Specialized P.2 and a Rockhopper.

Finally, I read this post:

[quote=“TimArchy”]Since you haven’t been riding fixed for too long, you don’t really know what you want yet. Anything you get will bet better than what you have (provided its the right size). And there’s a 90% chance that you’ll want something new (for illegitimate or legitimate reasons) before next summer. So don’t fret, just get what looks good to you.

Honestly, frames are frames. Tubing doesn’t really make that big of a difference until you’ve ridden enough bikes to learn the difference. Geometry does make a difference, but unless you get a professional to fit you to your bike, it’ll take a while before you figure out what works for you (mostly by finding out what doesn’t work).[/quote]
And now I don’t know what to do. Spend more, less, go for the fabled tarck geometry, get something more “relaxed?” Will I end up wanting more no matter what I do?

This post was way tl/dr. Thanks to all who sat through it. I appreciate any help I can get on this subject as I feel a bit lost.

I can answer the “fabled track geometry” question easily. Are you going to be riding it on a track or the road? Guess what my answer will be. :bear:

Just test out some bikes and get what you can afford and you like. Trust me in 6 months time if you ride it enough you’ll either be ready to sell / upgrade or just plain give up bikes. You’ll have acquired tons of knowledge, lots of riding habits and will know what you really want then.

[quote=“NitroPye”]I can answer the “fabled track geometry” question easily. Are you going to be riding it on a track or the road? Guess what my answer will be. :bear:

Just test out some bikes and get what you can afford and you like. Trust me in 6 months time if you ride it enough you’ll either be ready to sell / upgrade or just plain give up bikes. You’ll have acquired tons of knowledge, lots of riding habits and will know what you really want then.[/quote]
Thanks for the help. I’ll be riding on the road, of course. Roadish geometry it is, then.

Part of the problem I’m facing is that here in Texas (where I’m located, anyways) there isn’t a big market for fixed gears. I rode all around campus today and I only saw 2. This means I have to special order something from an LBS/internet, so it is kinda a one and done deal. Do you have any opinion on sinking money into that Peugeot, or should I look elsewhere? That decision is esentially step 1 for me.

Buy something new, you will be happier in the long run. I like IRO’s but there is an 8 wk wait for them right now. What ever you do get a brake.
lots of people like the kilo. I also like the steam roller and you could probably get it locally.

430 for a conversion sounds like alot. How good are you at fixing bikes? off the top of my head it should be closer to 200 maybe 300. but if you have the money i would go for something new.

I wouldn’t convert the Peugeot. I mean, it would be a cool learning experience and all but you’d be happier(probably) having a fixed and a geared bike for different occasions/moods. I would maybe look into getting a good idea of what your size is. It’s not ideal to buy a bike online and not be able to test ride it first, but knowing what measurements you need will help big time.

Keep the Peugeot the way it is. You already have a road bike and a decent budget, so go ahead and get a track bike that fits you. Why get another road geometry bike when you already have one?

Because it’s better suited to what he wants to do with it.

He didnt say what he wanted to do with it.

[quote=“balonya”]Buy something new, you will be happier in the long run. I like IRO’s but there is an 8 wk wait for them right now. What ever you do get a brake.
lots of people like the kilo. I also like the steam roller and you could probably get it locally.[/quote]
I agree on the wait time. I’m getting this as a reward of sorts for myself, so I need more instant gratification.

I’ll get a brake for sure, but I don’t know if the hipsters will be friends with me.

I can get the Steamroller locally, which is a big plus in my opinion.

Go for the Steamroller, I say.

Because it’s better suited to what he wants to do with it.[/quote]

Which is? He said he wanted a fixed gear tarck bike.

Hey everyone let’s argue!!!

For some clarification - I’ll be riding it on the road, around campus, city streets, etc. I know people ride all sorts of geometries for these duties, and I find track bikes aesthetically pleasing, but that doesn’t mean it’ll be a comfortable ride.

I like the Alien, but I have a feeling I’d be getting myself in a bit over my head with that one as a first foray into the fixed gear world.

I started a riot!

I started a riot![/quote]

:bear:

I’m gonna chime in and say don’t convert the peug. Track geomeotry is nice for riding in the city, but if you’re doing road riding, you probably want road geometry.

Sorry for the confusion, but I mean road riding as in not on the track. Generic city stuff, no centuries or superlong commutes. If that’s what you meant, then sorry for misunderstanding.

So far I’m considering the regular choices such as Bianchi Pista, IRO Angus/Mark V/Mark V Pro, Surly Steamroller, or the Alien. I think the Kilo TT would also be a good choice, but there’s still a wait on those completes. If there’s anything else I should be looking at, let me know. The hardest part is knowing about all those awesome smaller brands that you always wish you bought from after you learn more about the subject.

My LBS has a Felt Curbside and a Swobo Sanchez. I’m not digging the sloping top tubes, though.

check out http://www.bikeisland.com. the kilo tt is a nice choice.