Newjack needs advice

fael

fael[/quote]

fixd

Get a Pake. Build it up.

i want to get a new bike because all the cool kids are riding fixed…

:rofl: x 11tybillion

Your best bet is to get sized at a bike shop, then buy a complete. Search around, the Kilo TT has the best components for the price, and the TT Pro is even better. However, you might not like the geometry or something about it. There are 10 or 15 offerings in the entry level track/street fixed market.

I heard bad things about those at brianforums, but I guess you take that with a grain of salt. I’m thinking that if I buy a frame only and build it up, I’d try the Alien just because of the deal they have going with that now. It seems like a waste not to get unless it would be stupid for a rookie to purchase something so “aggressive” for a lack of a better term. But at the moment, I’m leaning towards a complete.

I really like the look of a bike without holes for a rear brake, cable guides, etc. I guess that is pretty tarck of me, but no one’s perfect.

A complete, if you have a grand to spend, I would go for a Steamroller and just get some nicer componentry.

Yeah! That’s it! Hook me up with the cool chickz!

Not so much. Hardly anyone rides fixed here; no one knows what I’m talking about. I’ve already got a singlespeed bike, and I love it. On any given day, I much prefer hopping on the singlespeed bike over the one with gears. I figured that if I was going to get a road/track bike, I may as well get a fixed one because I’ve already got a singlespeed bike.

On a side note, 90% of the fixed gear riders I see here are the ones that have no brakes, no foot retention, and no razor to shave their face.

EDIT: Sandals, too.

Not so much. Hardly anyone rides fixed here; no one knows what I’m talking about. I’ve already got a singlespeed bike, and I love it. On any given day, I much prefer hopping on the singlespeed bike over the one with gears. I figured that if I was going to get a road/track bike, I may as well get a fixed one because I’ve already got a singlespeed bike.[/quote]
im giving you shit, its a right of passage so to speak.

Will you teach me how to barspinz, todd?

As a follow up to this thread, I think I’m going to go to the LBS and see about a Surly Steamroller as it seems to be held in high regard/mentioned a few times. I’ll try to get sized and all that jazz. I appreciate the help and opinions, and I’ll update in this thread later.

If you want a cheaper option similar to the steamroller, someone posted the cross version of the Kilo at bikes direct was $399 complete and most were in stock. I think the link is near the end of the cross 2008 thread.

Not so much. Hardly anyone rides fixed here; no one knows what I’m talking about. I’ve already got a singlespeed bike, and I love it. On any given day, I much prefer hopping on the singlespeed bike over the one with gears. I figured that if I was going to get a road/track bike, I may as well get a fixed one because I’ve already got a singlespeed bike.[/quote]

tonight on my nightly ride I got holla’d at by a group of like 8 girls who were not bad looking. I figured I’d chalk up a “hey bike dude!” as a plus seeing as i was wearing too-tight cutoffs over little kid propalene long underwear so it ended mid calf and a plaid button up. Granted i was on the trek, and wearing a dope USA 84 cycling cap under my helmet. They seemed mad excited, perhaps girls are changing their ideals!

I went to the LBS and they weren’t too helpful (which is atypical of this LBS, I must have just gotten a new guy), but they can order a Steamroller if I desire one.

Is the recommendation aginst converting the Peugeot because it won’t be a nice end product/hard French parts to find/won’t ride as well being that is is designed for 27" wheels, or because it is already a complete road bike?

Half of the above

Which half?

The first. And kind of the second. Like half of both halves.

the P8 is fine the way it is. it’s not a super fancy road bike, but hardly anyone really needs a super fancy road bike. keep that bike the way it is as a cool vintage beater/grocery hauler/loaner for your buddies.

as far as a fixed gear goes, just grab whatever entry level bike you like and feel comfortable on. they are all pretty much the same in the long run, and all solid bikes. i’m talking like a bianchi pista, san jose, masi speciale fixed or commuter, redline 925, raleigh one way (someone on here, i forget who, has a SWEET one way cruiser), specialized langster, steamroller, khs flite, kilo tt, etc etc etc etc. try and stay in the $600 +/- $50 range, keep the rest of the money for replacement tires, spare tubes, and other wear parts, as well as potential upgrades as you ride and find things to your like or dislike (say, your stem is too short so you want to swap it out for a longer one, or your bars feel too wide so you swap for some narrow bars, or you want to try clipless, or your stock saddle sucks, whatever).

[quote=“frankstoneline”]
tonight on my nightly ride I got holla’d at by a group of like 8 girls who were not bad looking. I figured I’d chalk up a “hey bike dude!” as a plus seeing as i was wearing too-tight cutoffs over little kid propalene long underwear so it ended mid calf and a plaid button up. Granted i was on the trek, and wearing a dope USA 84 cycling cap under my helmet. They seemed mad excited, perhaps girls are changing their ideals![/quote]

they were probably drunk sorostitutes.

[quote=“jitensha!”][quote=“frankstoneline”]
tonight on my nightly ride I got holla’d at by a group of like 8 girls who were not bad looking. I figured I’d chalk up a “hey bike dude!” as a plus seeing as i was wearing too-tight cutoffs over little kid propalene long underwear so it ended mid calf and a plaid button up. Granted i was on the trek, and wearing a dope USA 84 cycling cap under my helmet. They seemed mad excited, perhaps girls are changing their ideals![/quote]

they were probably drunk sorostitutes.[/quote]

no sororities here, and they didnt appear to be drunk yet. haha.