Pavement bikes

If you really want fatter tires in the future you can always just do a good 'ol 650b conversion.

1 Like

I’m going to keep the Diverge for sure, it feels great with 700x42s on it.

you dont neeeed a 30mm tire, but as I’ve come to learn riding around here, most of the roads that have low auto traffic and are worth riding are chipseal. I was on 25mm Vittoria Corsa tires running 65 PSI and still getting rattled. Moving to 28mm at lower pressure is better, but if I could fit a 30mm I probably would

tl;dr if you’re on chipseal a light, fast, and slightly wider tire is dope

2 Likes

I ride a lot of back roads that have pretty casual maintenence schedules (rough as hell, pretty potholed) and the difference in ride quality between a 28 on a wide rim and a 32 on a wide rim is pretty narrow.

that having been said, if the Pirelli P Zeros in 30mm that I am putting on my (currently 28mm tired road) bike next feel way better, I’d be delighted.

edit: thinking about this a little more, the magic number for road is probably right in that 28-30mm tubeless range. 25 tubeless feels way better than tubed, but once you get into the mid-low 60’s for psi, things feel markedly better. The problem with wider tires (like 35+) is that they tend to wallow a lot on hard surfaces, and feel less awesome to spin up to speed.

2 Likes

My 7 yo Synapse says no. I get a little rub against the spring of the rear brake with 28s since getting 21 mm ID rims. I can tilt the brake a little and get away with it, but it seems like a bad idea.

1 Like

my year 2000 Kona Kapu in easton scandium fits 28s, rides nicely enough that i might just get it repainted. Bought it in 2010, replaced the 6500 for force 10 in 2013 and now i run gp4k2 or tubeless in 28. i have a discograv bike, but i’ll run this bike until it cracks or i run out of rim brake rims. i think of it as a smooth riding beater

I had a early 90s (maybe late 80s) Rossin for a season. Cleared 28s. Planed. Felt good. I can’t remember why I sold it. Not that I need anything remotely like that in my life. But it was a great regular ass road bike.

But also, many Caad9 frames cleared 28s.

I bet my Merckxi clear maaaaybe 25s. I’m glad I don’t know the difference yet, but the Carbonda’s getting 28s minimum on the road wheelset.

I love me Telekom, but I bet it gets ridden a lot less when I have carbon and big tires to choose from.

1 Like

My 2000s steel univega, not sure who made it but it has some nice dropouts, fits 28s and planes nicely.

This.

4 Likes

Ohsit there was one of those locally. Steel frame, alu fork/steel steerer right?

The one here had a low end campy triple group and mismatched wheels,but was only $75 asking, with a single shite pic.

Yeah, veloce triple and alu fork. Only original part is the frame and maybe headset. It was my dad’s.

1 Like

Can I gush quickly about how perfect of a pavement bike this is? Because it’s a pretty fucken perfect pavement bike.

18 Likes

Bro we are here for your gush.

5 Likes

i stuck 32s on my canyon endurace and now i think it’s the perfect bike. now i can ride it on the road and on all the chunky dirt “rail trails” and little connectors. still fast on the road. still comfy on the trails.
it’s not a gravel bike and i wouldn’t take it on singletrack of any kind but it’s been so nice to be able to go anywhere i need to go with one bike.

10 Likes

after like 1.5 years of dithering and supply chain pain, wife’s finally picking up one of these today:

14 Likes

oh cool! is there an elastomer in that raised section of the seattube, or is it just an aero design element?

I don’t know much about pavement bikes but it’s that Giant “d-fuse” shiz

FYI with the caveat that I really love the dfuse thing and also I’m thicc

1 Like

Wait is it supposed to move? Is it just a complicated way of avoiding a seat collar?

No seat collar because the post is D shaped instead of O shaped. Makes it very springy in the right direction

1 Like