Permit me to introduce Malachi! (My Fixed COnversion!)

I had this follow me home from the bike shop. Yep, here it is, my fixed gear! I named him Malachi Constant, as that translates as “Faithful Messenger”. (Yeah, and I’m a Vonnegut fan as well. :p)

Set up with a small moustache bar, and I did add a front brake. The crank is Bontrager Sport, and gearing is 44:12, which gives me a gain ratio of 7.3:1. In gear inches, that’s 98.1 gear inches, and at a 100 cadence, that will mean 29 MPH. I’ve got a sweet honey brown leather saddle I may put on it, as well.

Pedals are Egg Beaters, of course. The frame is a mid 70’s Nishiki Sport that’s been converted to Single Speed. It has 36 spoke Alex wheels, and with the nondished build possible with a SS/FG, I shouldn’t have any issues. The hubs are Schimano High FlangeTrack Hubs in black…

Edit to correct the date from the serial numbers

seriously, GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE!

toddistic do you realize who you are talking to that way?
watch your words brother. watch your words.

good looking conversion. throw that other saddle on there, let’s see how it looks.

44/12? jesus.

I’m not sweating it…[quote=“artblur”]toddistic do you realize who you are talking to that way?
watch your words brother. watch your words.[/quote]

Yeah. That’s pretty nuts. A second brake would be a good idea too since it’s a singlespeed.

what? its stormcrowe.

(i will be upping the ante to 44x13 as soon as i find a good deal on a 44t 1/8 ring and sell my 42t sugino messnger)

Stormcrowe, I know you’re all venerable and shit, but seriously, why start a whole thread for a rather mundane bike?
There’s already a thread full of mundane bikes. It’s called “Post your Bicycle”.

Yeah. That’s pretty nuts. A second brake would be a good idea too since it’s a singlespeed.[/quote]
I think it’s fixed. But I’m not really sure. He said both, but since he said fixed twice and single speed only once I’m going with fixed.

Fixed gear, and yeah, it’s not a rare bike, but it’s mine and I like it., RP. More threads generate more traffic, by the way, and more traffic makes this forum grow.

I like it too. Good on ya!
By the way, is your real name Stormcrowe? Cause that would be badass.

Where do you live that you want to ride around with 98 GI on the street? I’m not sure I could even get that to start rolling.

No, the first name is real, my second part, Stormcrowe is actually my old radio handle from when I was trucking. I got tagged with that because in the winter, where ever the weather was the worst, that’s usually where I’d be.

[quote=“Rusty Piton”]I like it too. Good on ya!
By the way, is your real name Stormcrowe? Cause that would be badass.[/quote]

Flat Indiana. No more than a 130 foot rise here, and other than that, very gentle roll. My geared road bike tops out with a 52:12 and I run the big ring constantly.[quote=“philatio”]Where do you live that you want to ride around with 98 GI on the street? I’m not sure I could even get that to start rolling.[/quote]

Cool. That’s even more badass.

makes sense.

holy crap. 98 hear inches? :bear: i was running 89 gear inches here in austin and that damn near killed me going up hill.

that honey leather saddle would look great on that bike.

ps, shut up toddistic.

tom stormcrowe is one bad dude

[quote=“artblur”]toddistic do you realize who you are talking to that way?
watch your words brother. watch your words.[/quote]
maybe i missed something… cuz this was common retort for ppl who post their own threads about their bikes… i dont pay attention to names.