Peter Sagan appreciation thread

Anyone see Louis CK on the daily show the other day?

Nope. Bro you confusing the tour with a Motley Crue concert.[/quote]

This. They were talking about it during the tour yesterday, and Sean Kelly said he has never heard of/seen another cyclist sign a girl’s chest.

[quote=Dirty Sanchez]
22 year olds are dumb and awkward enough when they haven’t spend most of their pube-having life racing at the world level with little education, no need to use your liberal arts degree to make him out as some kind of villain and not just an exhausted doofus[/quote]
I agree he’s an exhausted doofus, but when your autopilot exhausted mode is to cross the line on a woman’s body, your shit… ain’t calibrated properly.

are we really having an argument about how accountable he is for his actions? He is young and dumb and tired or he is a creepy sex offender, either way he did something wrong and is responsible for his actions.

I did and as always he fucking leveled it out for everyone. Great guy.

How can you say that he’s obviously sorry when he asked the reporter to email him a copy of the video? And then ended by saying of himself “Good job!” How can you say she wanted it when she obviously backed away uncomfortably not once, but twice? Of course we can’t say how either feels about it, because nobody has asked either of them.

It’s not something I’m going to be wringing my hands over, but the dude should be held accountable for his actions, not excused from them.

And hey, my first reaction was “C’mon, what’s the big deal?” until I reasoned through it. This is a Sagan appreciation thread and I am in a mode to auto-appreciate what he does, but you can’t be blind to the idea that this is unwelcome action.

As for all the celebrity comedians, they’re all handling this whole Tosh Point Oh bullshit pretty poorly. Why are we only focusing on guys trying to explain why rape jokes are funny? Where are the female comedians defending Tosh? Are there any?

Also here is some commentary from a guy who has actually been raped on the acceptability of rape jokes:
Re: Patton Oswalt before the Tosh scandal: http://thingofthings.tumblr.com/post/23970133350/my-comic-about-rape-jokes
Re: Louis C.K. after the Tosh scandal: http://thingofthings.tumblr.com/post/27392294774/the-silence-is-deafening

I don’t think anyone is saying Sagan shouldn’t be held accountable for his actions.

Personally, I think it’s pretty understandable that he’d make a mistake like he did (i.e. thinking it was acceptable and wanted that he sign that woman’s boobs) when he’s ensconced in an all-male sporting event that treats women as trophies. Does that mean he’s not accountable? Absolutely not. He should apologize. That said, frankly, I’m kind of sick of hearing what all the dudes think about this stuff. (I mean, no offense to all of you - it’s interesting and honestly quite heartening to read what you guys think about this, but I mean in general, I’m sick of The Dude Voice) If this kind of attitude didn’t exist in cycling, there would be more women on this forum here and now and watching the tour and otherwise being involved in cycling and all that who could comment. All that is to say there’s obviously a much bigger problem than Sagan’s fuck up.

[quote=littletinyfish]
Re: Louis C.K. after the Tosh scandal: http://thingofthings.tumblr.com/post/27392294774/the-silence-is-deafening[/quote]
That blog post was horrible. Clearly didn’t pay any attention to what Louis CK said. Just ranted and didn’t address or quote anything he said. Just a rant about an argument that he didn’t even make. Louis even made the point that he uses criticism as a chance to learn.

[quote=jordanpattern]I don’t think anyone is saying Sagan shouldn’t be held accountable for his actions.

Personally, I think it’s pretty understandable that he’d make a mistake like he did (i.e. thinking it was acceptable and wanted that he sign that woman’s boobs) when he’s ensconced in an all-male sporting event that treats women as trophies. Does that mean he’s not accountable? Absolutely not. He should apologize. That said, frankly, I’m kind of sick of hearing what all the dudes think about this stuff. (I mean, no offense to all of you - it’s interesting and honestly quite heartening to read what you guys think about this, but I mean in general, I’m sick of The Dude Voice) If this kind of attitude didn’t exist in cycling, there would be more women on this forum here and now and watching the tour and otherwise being involved in cycling and all that who could comment. All that is to say there’s obviously a much bigger problem than Sagan’s fuck up.[/quote]

Yall are fucking pussies.

Nate thinks all women want their breasts signed and that everyone in the world wants to look at his penis.

Nate has fondled me all too often.

sorry about that, I’d paused it after he’d just stood there making awkward unintelligible penguin noises for a while

didn’t see the last part, you’re right

What a utopia the world will be once we’ve all read the Rape Culture wiki.

Dig dig dig.

“I like it (being compared to Merckx),” he told Gazzetta. “It’s difficult to say who is my biggest rival. I’m suited to lots of different kinds of finishes and so I’m always up against different rivals. But I can beat them all.”
I’m kinda over this guy now.

He had a good season last year. Let’s see if he can have another.

[quote=rhys]“I like it (being compared to Merckx),” he told Gazzetta. “It’s difficult to say who is my biggest rival. I’m suited to lots of different kinds of finishes and so I’m always up against different rivals. But I can beat them all.”
I’m kinda over this guy now.[/quote]

This just in: 22 year old kid who’s really fucking good at something has an ego about it

[quote=johnnyraja][quote=rhys]“I like it (being compared to Merckx),” he told Gazzetta. “It’s difficult to say who is my biggest rival. I’m suited to lots of different kinds of finishes and so I’m always up against different rivals. But I can beat them all.”
I’m kinda over this guy now.[/quote]

This just in: 22 year old kid who’s really fucking good at something has an ego about it[/quote]

while looking and sounding like the Muppet Babies version of The Penguin