platform pedalsss?

so… i ordered a set of these cos they seemed light and cheap

but in real life, the reason for their lightness becomes apparent: they’re tiny.

ideally, i’d get a set of suntour xc compe or pros, but they ain’t cheap

so… does anyone have any strong recommendations?
the only other things i can think of are

1. old school xt pedals
  2. wtb momentum grease guards
  3. crank bros 50/50s

of these i’d trust the shimanos, and have no experience with the other 2.

hmmm. i dunno. i tend to prefer the beefy mtb/bmx platforms, cuz comfy and good grip with the pegs on them.

which ones you like?

i’ve seen the kona wah wah pedals and they’re pretty nice looking: thin, nice bearings.

the ones i’ve had i’ve picked up at swaps for 5 bucks a pair, so random cheap ones that are beefy and peggy.

i’ve never ridden the odyssey twisted pedals, but they seem popular with the fgfs (i know, i know) crowd and the bmx crowd, and have the qualities i like in the bmx pedals i have (animal) with the added advantage of holes for mounting foot retension.

downsides to those are that they’re plastic. they’ll wear down eventually and not be as grippy.

i like metal ones, but those weigh more.

really, though, even some cheap used random pair will have the advantages of being comfy (wider platform for your foot and less pressure on any one spot, and some have a slight concavity where the ball of your foot goes. hella comfy) and grippy, so i’ve never really looked for a particular pair above any other particular pair, though i do want to try those ody pedals soon.

edit: try lbs with used parts bins, or browse danscomp perhaps?

if you’re gonna do platform…
http://www.petracycles.co.uk/product_info.php?language=en&currency=USD&products_id=32720&source=googleus
or
http://www.petracycles.co.uk/esprit-pedal-p-32719.html?osCsid=vmsolmgl5963baolnuob2ref94

That’s the style I’ve always loved on my BMX. Mine are actually Peregrine pedals, but the large platform with peg setup seems to be the most comfy for me.
Mine are loose ball and spin like a freaking DREAM… I’ve had them for over 13years. Ebay has some for $55 shipped… maybe more than you want to spend.

Crank brothers 50/50 look like somethign I’d try too.

EDIT: Second look the peregrines on ebay aren’t my exact pedal. They seem to have molded in spikes instead of press fit pins.

just browsing danscomp, a couple i personally would try…there are a lot more if you take out the wanting to mount powergrips to them (sort of a compromise between wanting the freedom of no foot retension and the obvious advantages of it)

i was just looking on danscomp too. those macneils look great, but not sealed bearing. bummer.

i was kinda thinking about POWA GRIPS. ducks

hey, they have certain strengths for certain things.

merge thred w/ holdfast strapz?

also http://www.reloadbags.com/store/accessories/lockdown-foot-straps/lockdown-foot-straps-black.html

dq: what’s teh deal with magnesium pedals? they make sparks? what else?
these look any good?
http://cgi.ebay.com/WELLGO-MG-1-MAGNESIUM-PEDALS-MTB-DH-BMX-FLAT-CAGE-BLACK_W0QQitemZ290422875083QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item439e8d63cb

I like the Odyssey plastic pedals. They don’t bite the shit out of your shins when you stop, but they are nice and grippy enough for mountain biking and riding in the rain. I couldn’t bring myself to put plastic pedals on the stumpjumper, though, so I got some grippy ass Primo Stricker magnesium pedals with loose ball bearings. Sealed would be nice, but these spin better than any pedals I’ve ever used, and they have seen a lot of rain. I feel really dumb, but I haven’t figured out how to actually open them up…it seems like the necessary bolt is locked in place. If I can do that soon, they’ll be the best pedals ever. If I can’t, I’m going to ruin them and they will be replaced. I really fucking love BMX platforms, though.

A friend of mine had these:

which he replaced with these:

Another friend has these, which I really like:

These are the Primos I like:

Non-BMX platforms don’t feel secure enough for me to really stand up and hammer in the rain in sneakers without toe clips. Plastic pedals get a little sketchier in the rain.

[quote=sN3Aky2d0p3]dq: what’s teh deal with magnesium pedals? they make sparks? what else?
these look any good?
http://cgi.ebay.com/WELLGO-MG-1-MAGNESIUM-PEDALS-MTB-DH-BMX-FLAT-CAGE-BLACK_W0QQitemZ290422875083QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item439e8d63cb[/quote]
Magnesium is lighter than…aluminum? steel? I don’t know. Those pedals are pretty nice.

part of why i wanted power grips. last time it rained though, i rode platforms w/o any foot retension, and was glad when at one point my bike started sliding out from under me on a slick spot when i had to brake really hard really fast, and i was able to put a foot down.

the pegs on the very first and very last pedals you posted look pretty legit–grippy enough to not slide off, while still having the ability to dab.

i ride these on my mtb/fuck-around bike(will have clipless)

these on the bmx

i think both are unsealed and never really had a problem with either

atmo, if it’s from a reputable source it’s probably a safe bet

[quote=beargrinder]part of why i wanted power grips. last time it rained though, i rode platforms w/o any foot retension, and was glad when at one point my bike started sliding out from under me on a slick spot when i had to brake really hard really fast, and i was able to put a foot down.

the pegs on the very first and very last pedals you posted look pretty legit–grippy enough to not slide off, while still having the ability to dab.[/quote]
The Primos are mega grippy, but the white Holzfellers are insanely grippy. Unfortunately the Holzfellers also fucking stap you in the shins every time you fuck up. A friend had, at one point, two parallel gouges down his shin from that pedal.

My only complaint about the Primos is the chunkiness. A slightly lower profile would be comfier, I think. On the other hand, I like the way the chunkiness looks.

Got the XT platforms on the Xtra and some plastic Primo Strickers on the Marin currently. The XT pedals have a classic feel and look great and spin smooth. The Primo pedals are beefy, fairly grippy, and are cheap.

If it were me, I’d go with the XT pedals.

I have ridden both the mg-1 and the ruben pedals. I loved them both but the pedal blew off the spindle on the mg-1 and I destoryed the rubens in a bike-throwing fit. Both rule. Right now, I’m riding sealed animal alum pedals and I like them. I grind a lot on my pedals (no pegs) so I tend to go through them quickly.

The metal Primo pedals are a lot grippier and generally nicer than the plastic ones. But the plastic ones are really nice and when all of the grip pins on my odyssey plastic pedals on my mtb wear off, I’m going to try to the stricker plastic pedals because the concave design gives superior grip to other bmx pedals, I think.