Poopbarning: not pukebacking like they used to thread

wut[/quote]
No more QR disc bikes

TC: The new Specialized AWOL and Sequoia are both pretty solid. They’re still bullshit for proper front-loading, but otherwise they are totally competent machines for their marketed purposes.

[quote=ICU81MI]Literally Anyone: “Hey I’m looking at these 1-1.5 bong bikes. What should I get?”
Mig (100% of the time): “Build a 3 bong endpoint”[/quote]
Literally everyone 6-12 months later is upgrading

I’ve had a .75 bong bike for 4 years and I’ll prolly keep it for another 4.

oh yeah, TA all the way. In 5 years you’ll be hard pressed to buy a decent bike without through axles.

Unless you’re me. Maybe by then I’ll be riding someone’s beat up cable dick elephant or some shit

he’s complaining about heavy overbuilt steel bikes, and those both have innovative new ways to be literally “solid”

I had a matrix moment yesterday at the big bike celebration as two identical-except-color AWOLs ridden by two nearly identical Bearded Minneapolis Bike Dudes With Beer Bellies and Tattoos rode by in the space of fifteen seconds.

In other news I am actually going to do a solo two night poopbarn in the prairies west of the twin cities this weekend:

So fuckin’ stoked. The entire westerly section is limestone rail trails. Night two even features a “backcountry” “primitive” campsite. Wow!

he’s complaining about heavy overbuilt steel bikes, and those both have innovative new ways to be literally “solid”[/quote]
^^^^^^

[quote=Straws]Going on a 1 night quick poopbarn this week, just to get out of the city. Super light, no shelter, no cookware. Grabbing a burrito or two on the way out of town.

So this has me thinking. I have 6 bikes. Two track bikes, gunnar cross bike, natureboy fenderbike, Giordana road bike, and Soma Wolverine. I pretty much only ride the track bikes and the gunnar. I’m never going to go on some two week adventure on the Wolverine and I’m unlikely to go on road rides on the giordana. I’m thinking I should sell the gunnar, the wolverine, the giordana, and the natureboy. Take the money and buy a nice cross/adventure bike with two wheelsets, one for road one for dirt. The reason I’m not keeping the gunnar is it actually has pretty small tire clearance and it’s canti.

My first idea was the Giant TCX because I can get them for dirt cheap considering the builds. They’re everywhere. But they’re a bit too racy. I want something light, I’ve only ever owned steel bikes with big heavy dumb components and wheels so I figured it’s time to treat myself. The problem with alloy and crabon bikes is pressfit bb which I don’t know if I can stomach.

All those things considered, what should I do?

These are the bikes I’ve considered. Leaning heavily towards the Raleigh because my best friend is doing some frame design work for them and can get a fucking mad hookup.

Raleigh Stuntman (only steel on the list)
Niner RLT 9 (all-road geo, really like this one)
Giant TCX (cross geo)
Ridley X-Trail (also cross geo)[/quote]
I like your reasoning Straws, it seems sound. Ive been trying to get rid of a bunch of my bikes, and all I have managed to do is get rid of the Karate Monkey, which was my favourite bike. Other than that, I am going around in fricken circles with my logic. The problem I have with carbon is that my oldest carbon bike has both the seat-post and the BB corroded in place, and as you say, any replacement carbon frame is likely to be press-fit. I thought the Stigmata was no longer press-fit, but I checked. Suck, still is. I will be staying QR on the front while I still have a QR dynamo.

Press-fit ain’t so bad with a converter BB, imo.

I think my XTC frame has a wheels manufacturing BB in it, and I haven’t had a problem so far, but I would be gutted if I did a big poop and it creaked the whole time.

Tarck jargon meets British empire dialect for lulz.

The wheels and other press fit aftermarket parts are designed to take care of the creaking. Or you can just do a PVD and machine all the interfaces so they’re within tolerance.

RLT 9 is giving me all of it. I want to put the cross tires back on it and take it to some trails sometime soon. New version has TA I think. Mine doesn’t. But mine was also only a bong.

what real life tires did you put on it?

knobs don’t mean much of anything on out dry summer crossbikeable trails

(and stock oem ‘performance’ level cx tires are usually pretty hard rubber)

I’d just ride it straight out to banner or st. eds to shred

I think he got some nomads for the smoothness.

Yeah, nomads. I’ve ridden everything from mud tires to file treads for cross and on my cross bike on mtb trails. I know the difference in how they feel. Would maybe put Michelin Muds on it. It came with some WTB something’s that I could also use, but probably not.

I was looking at Duthie because I can hit it right after work. Don’t really have time to do a long ride to get to trails. Also looking into st. Edwards now.

St. Edwards is very cross bikeable.

I have some Small Block 8s I’d sell ya for cheap. They are lousy for racing though.

Gonna push my all-time favorite tire again: http://teravail.com/tires/cannonball

Small Block 8’s were fun for mixed cruising, but they flatted easy for me. Never had them tubeless.

has anyone fucked with a bivy bag?