Poopbarning: not pukebacking like they used to thread

I noticed that quite a few reviews mention that this is a popular way to kill them.

It’s official: if I’m going to enjoy bike camping in the Midwest I need a freestanding bug shelter.

Bwahahahaha! Ok not really laughing, and definitely not at you specifically.

Folks out here (the PNW) just don’t know how good we have it, how lax we can be with our tent door discipline, to say nothing of going out with non bug-proof shelter and not having to worry about it.

I’m pretty sure I have an OR Bug Bivy to send you

Couldn’t you rig up a no-see-em screen over your tarptent? It would weigh nothing and pack down to nothing

I have a lifelong shame.

Mosquitos don’t bite me. Never have. Sometimes I see them on me but not often. I dont feel them on me and I don’t get mosquito bites. I have one theory on why this is which would account for why they don’t like me but doesn’t account for why what few bites I get don’t result in the usual welt and itchiness.

Regardless of the how or why, having lived most of my life in the South I am a giant jerk. Sitting around the river or a campfire I am always in complete peace while my friend get bit to shreds. Subsequently I don’t often mention it because at that point I’m an actual jerk.

F u
Bit to shreds and big welt team here

I’m Mosquito proof too. It’s awesome.
I also don’t seem to be affected by poison ivy.

Not mosquito proof, but my wife is a magnet so I just stay near her.

Mosquito magnet, but I don’t get poison ivy.

[quote=jimmythefly]Bwahahahaha! Ok not really laughing, and definitely not at you specifically.

Folks out here (the PNW) just don’t know how good we have it, how lax we can be with our tent door discipline, to say nothing of going out with non bug-proof shelter and not having to worry about it.[/quote]
I first noticed this the first few times I went camping up here. I saw people do the unthinkable, leaving the tent door open while they moved stuff from the car to the tent. Like, leaving it open for 1-2 minutes at a time. I asked Marley and she said “cuz no bugs”.

Allergic to everything, mosquitos love me.

I noticed that quite a few reviews mention that this is a popular way to kill them.[/quote]

I feel like if you read down like 10 reviews on any camping gear you will find that someone has fucked it via fire. It is kind of funny.

[quote=Rusty Piton]I’m Mosquito proof too. It’s awesome.
I also don’t seem to be affected by poison ivy.[/quote]
oh yeah, that too.

but I try not to test it as I know how allergies work.

Fucka bivvy atmo
Even the “breathable” ones suck, and all that extra plastic makes em almost as heavy as other solutions
Tarp or single wall tent if it’s gonna be rainy, or just sleep on the ground if not
If it’s buggy but cold enough to zip up your sleeping bag, all you need is a head net to keep the skeeters off

nah the bug bivvy is 70% mesh / 30% floor

with a ~1m hoop pole to keep it suspended above you

can’t always bundle up enough for a head net

I would love that bivy Fred!

My problem last night was that it was way too hot to hide in my bag, which is what I did when I was up high by a lake in the cascades. It didn’t get down to 70 until midnight so I spent many hours hiding in the bag, getting so sweaty I had to undo it and fan myself with my hat. My bag got soaked in sweat. Also, was a dry camp so I ran out of water at 11pm and didn’t get more until 10 miles in this morning…

Like I said: warm weather bug shelter is absolutely necessary to not have miserable experiences out here.

Hammock with a bugnet sounds good for that situation if you like hammocking. In my experience i’ve been good in a hammock down to about 75F with no insulation, then below that I needed quilt + pad. Anything above 70F i sweat like mad in a tent, even one with lots of mesh and the rainfly off.

I tarp/bivy it, lately, in the incredibly buggy NE US:

Been really liking the adaptability and low weight! I got the Gossamer Gear cuben tarp and MLD superlight bivy for a steal, and made the poles from parts this one online replacement vendor sells. Whole shelter ends up around a pound with poles and stakes. If I know it’s not gonna rain, I’ll just use the bivy. Sometimes I don’t zip it. If I feel like it won’t be buggy (but honestly it usually is) I can just use the tarp. Plus, I can keep the bivy in the drybag for my buttrocket, and keep the tarp in my Ozette, just in case I gotta pitch it when it has started storming already.

Gonna experiment with DIY to make a new mostly mesh bivy with a cuben bottom (although I might just use some of the Momentum 50 from Thru-Hiker.com instead of bug netting for the body, since it’s really breathable and low weight anyway) to drop some grams.

Would try that setup. Looks fantastic.