Poopbarning: not pukebacking like they used to thread

[quote=Straws][quote=Rusty Piton]I’m Mosquito proof too. It’s awesome.
I also don’t seem to be affected by poison ivy.[/quote]
oh yeah, that too.

but I try not to test it as I know how allergies work.[/quote]
I hadn’t tested it for years until I crashed my MTB into a ravine full of the stuff.
Nothing happened to me, but my buddy got it just from being in my presence.

You too can go e-bikepacking for only $4,100*

(*Fly rod, flies, Blackburn bags, kayak, Tacoma, tent, dog, and film crew not included.)

This isn’t the jackass turn sandwich thread

It has a key.
Isn’t there a motorcycle thread over in OT?

motherfucker has old man mountain racks tho

One ride I cant imagine wanting to do. Not a lot out there.
I think only one person finished last year. Sarah Hammond

http://www.bikepacking.com/routes/family-bikepacking-salida/

Gonna do this loop this weekend on a demo ECR. Surly and my LBS (Yawp! Cyclery) put on a weekend bikepacking trip every year. It’s pretty rad.

Two of my Tour Aotearoa buddies did this ride a while back with the idea of entering it in this competition. Matt takes a reasonable photo.
http://www.bikepacking.com/routes/no-8-wired/

Looks like my buddy has gone into production with his dual cage mount.

Why have a massive gap between the two bottles? To make extra super certain that you’ll bash your knee against them every 3rd revolution?

Edit I guess it’s to leave space for a full framebag. Not convinced that particular compromise is worth it for more than 4 people in the world.

No knee bashing. I’ve got one myself. Very popular in this neck of the woods.

I guess if you got a “wide stance” you’re good. I’ve kicked my frame pump before, and that sticks out 1/4 as much as those cages. Also got trouser legs caught on empty bottle cages at the start of the downstroke, which can be real inconvenient.

Tour Aotearoa starts saturday.
I am really loving this guy’s unusual set-up. I think he might be a campy fan.

Should be doing something like this route with the girlfriend this spring. She will probably spend some time in this area for work and I will drive down with the bikes and we were going to do this route over a weekend.

http://www.bikepacking.com/routes/croatan-gravel-vanish/

I really need to work on patching together some routes in my area and some people to ride them with me.

[quote=shane.rrr]Should be doing something like this route with the girlfriend this spring. She will probably spend some time in this area for work and I will drive down with the bikes and we were going to do this route over a weekend.

http://www.bikepacking.com/routes/croatan-gravel-vanish/

I really need to work on patching together some routes in my area and some people to ride them with me.[/quote]
That looks pretty cool.

They pulled the pin on the Indiepac yesterday, due to Coroner type stuff relating to Mike Halls death.

Why?

I don’t know. Because the coronial process is still underway I guess and possibley they may want to apportion blame in a particular direction ? No idea really.

I’m guessing the lawyers made a pretty strong suggestion that running the race while the coroner’s inquest is undergoing would be a bad move. There are still a bunch of people that are going to do the ride, but IPWR has officially washed their hands of it in no uncertain terms.

The tour Aotearoa has not been “plain sailing” this year.
The first of the 6 x 100 rider waves started on the 10th at Cape Reinga, and they got hammered with the remnants of a tropical storm that had been nearby.

The next day the 2nd ferry had to be cancelled due to the storm, which meant that the alternative route, which was on a very dangerous high use road, that even the locals wont use was still a pretty shitty alternative.(NZ drivers really are that bad, especially in this area).

A plan was hatched where riders could hire a shuttle to take them down to the point where they would normally got off the ferry . This was a good move, and the next day the ferry was running again so the next batch of riders got through. Maybe there were a couple of sailings, Im not 100% sure.

Anyway. Wave 2 started yesterday and they had a massive tail wind down 90 mile beach, which is about 80kms I think (go figure). The first guy was off the beach in 4 hours.

Last night the riders on the Ferry (there are about 5 boat crossings in the Tour Aotearoa) were 20 mins into the 3 hour boat trip when there was an almighty bang. The engine of the boat blew up!
They had to wait for a tow… They got into Helensville at around 3am in the morning! These are first wave riders. The bad news is that a bunch of guys waiting at the bottom of the peninusla at Poutu have to back-track more than 60kms to catch the shuttle, as the boat is terminally munted.

Here are the guys loading up the boat, 20 mins before its engine expired. (Facebooklink)

Meanwhile, at the front, my buddy Cliff, who is from Carlsbad California has pulled the pin. Tired of being wet and riding by himself. He was miles ahead of the next guy, not that its a race. Its a Brevet.
2nd Wave riders are coming through and there is a Single speed rider in the front 3.

If anyone wants a look go here:
https://touraotearoa2018.maprogress.com/

4 more 100 rider waves coming soon !