Pro Cycling

how long till sagan gets popped for doping?

love the guy but got deng.

Wout’s mechanical had me yelling at the tv.

[quote=turpencat]how long till sagan gets popped for doping?

love the guy but got deng.[/quote]

My money is, if ever, when he pisses off the wrong person and/or when he’s way past his prime. He makes too many powerful people money right now and doesn’t make the sport look bad.

[quote=crabbi]fuck.

Prolly dysrhythmia. Fuq.

[quote=turpencat]how long till sagan gets popped for doping?

love the guy but got deng.[/quote]
What’s the goss, why would he be any dirtier than his peers?
I kind of agree tho, seems to have that untouchable aura that Cippo had. Too valuable.

Had this conversation with a friend yesterday. I don’t think he’ll get popped.

But that heart attack on the cobbles might change the narrative. Probably not, but maybe. If dudes start dropping dead on the road the rich dudes in charge will start to make changes. Until then, Sagan is god.

EDIT: Should clarify I don’t know anything about the dude that died. Could be totally clean. But if any whiff of a heart attack plus drugs hits the news cycle it’s going to be a fucking circus.

Tom Simpson already tried that one. Didn’t change much.

Too soon!

[quote=Shortpants]Had this conversation with a friend yesterday. I don’t think he’ll get popped.

But that heart attack on the cobbles might change the narrative. Probably not, but maybe. If dudes start dropping dead on the road the rich dudes in charge will start to make changes. Until then, Sagan is god.

EDIT: Should clarify I don’t know anything about the dude that died. Could be totally clean. But if any whiff of a heart attack plus drugs hits the news cycle it’s going to be a fucking circus.[/quote]

I am not super jazzed about procycling and doping and lil human racehorses, but I seem to recall that the (1998?) Festina affair was kicked off when some 23 year old racers died in their sleep from heart clogging / EPO abuse, and that the tendrils of that investigation are what first implicated Lance Armstrong in the doping charges that eventually cost him his relationship with Alanis Morisette (?).

I had a subscription to VeloNews waaaaay back when, and I refuse to look any of this up on Wikipedia, preferring instead my powers of mental recall of articles written as obliquely as possible to keep sponsors / advertisers from getting mad.

Sheryl Crow, from what I remember

I’ll be dead in hell before I acknolwedge that they are different people

same goes for Craig Kilborn and Conan O’Brien

Doesn’t have to be drugs.

There was an interesting conversation a couple of years ago on vsalon about this. The summary was that we know surprisingly little about what this kind of physical abuse does to your heart and it basically only has a certain amount of ticks before it peaces out. Doing endurance sports the way the pros do is not healthy. Who would’ve thought that redlining your body for hours on end could kill you, eh?

[quote=lukasz]Doesn’t have to be drugs.

There was an interesting conversation a couple of years ago on vsalon about this. The summary was that we know surprisingly little about what this kind of physical abuse does to your heart and it basically only has a certain amount of ticks before it peaces out. Doing endurance sports the way the pros do is not healthy. Who would’ve thought that redlining your body for hours on end could kill you, eh?[/quote]
I know a handful of local riders my age, who are all now sufferring from these “fribulations” . The thing they all seem to have in common is that they were competitive cyclists as youngtsers, and carried on into later life, some with a break, some without. I mentioned it to my Dr the other day and he didn’t feel inclined to offer me any advice, although he did try to feel my heart to see if it was enlarged. Each year I do another cross season I wonder if its a good idea or not : ( Of all the cycling related sports I’ve done, I think cross is the most brutal, maybe XC next.

This is also why the whole PED debate is ass backwards. Of course people are gonna look for a way to stay healthy while doing dumb shit to their bodies for money. No, let them deteriorate naturally! The whole thing is a circus in the Roman sense.

It’s the PE that’s the problem there, not the D

Sagan is obviously super competitive but I don’t get the doping vibe. He seems like the type who wouldn’t dope, just so the haters can’t have that satisfaction if he was busted.

It’s the PE that’s the problem there, not the D[/quote]

Not getting hurt or sick as much is a pretty big PE. See: Froome training on top of a volcano on a remote island.

This is what I like to tell myself but he’d have to be fucking superman to do this so consistently naturally.

This is what I like to tell myself but he’d have to be fucking superman to do this so consistently naturally.[/quote]
The fact that he was junior MTB world champ tells me that he is special. Since when can MTBers sprint? Some people are freaks. I am more inclined to scream “doper” when the whole team is dominating.

Okay that’s a pretty fair point I hadn’t honestly considered.