Randonneurs (randos), use metric for distances; it'll make them feel like a longer ride: rando chat‽

i don’t know much about Very Long Bike Rides but would this not be the case for most 600s?

It depends on how climby the ride is, and what kind of climbs they are; The DRR 600k isn’t all that climby (20k), but what climbs it has have a distinct air of Fuck You to them, which isn’t exactly the most happy thing to encounter after 250 miles of steadily creeping upgrade.

Not me although I’m flattered you thought it was.

But you could… if you wanted

Yeah of course totally

On a track bike, 28c rear 25 front, NJS everrrythinng

was probably before your time, but there’s an FOAer who’s completed PBP multiple times on a fixed moulton demountable. super nice guy, fixie-PBP proclivities aside!

I think you mean a demon table

1 Like

It’s vwry difficult to keep the same pace for 600km, especially when there are very hilly sections and long durations without services (water). This ride has both and the big climb is at the ~2/3point of 100k without, so you’re conserving water and carrying as much as you can - heavy and you’re not using it.

And on top of that, it’s the middle of the night and you just climbed for 25km - so now you’re descending into midnight cold, which at ~365k means if you didn’t carry extra layers then you’re going to cramp up or start shivering on the descent.

15hrs is a fine time for a 300

Is @euflavine here?

Also, 600s are unique in that they sometimes have an overnight control for you to snack and sleep. This had a motel stop that was $85 so I’m trying to figure out what my $30 ride fee went to :woman_shrugging:

Edit: we’re being watched

Sounds brutal. Gonna have to do a rando one day. People are allowed to work together eh?

Look at this fancy new website!

PBP is great, 100% do it.

Do a domestic 1200km first so you get the fitness and basics down, but PBP is unlike any other in the number of riders, level of support, etc. For example, I never looked at the cue sheet or map once during PBP because of other riders ahead or marked turns.

I did it on a normal bike. Fixed wouldn’t be too crazy, but I bet being stuck in a similar cadence for most of it would get to be a drag.

I did it in “I’m riding, but having fun” pace at 75 hours in 2011.

@cousinmosquito, Yes, no rules against working with other riders. This whole “ITT forever” thing is a Bikepacking race thing.

Not to disagree with @ergott too much, but I train extensively with power for road racing, but don’t see a ton of application of it for ultra-distance.

I mean in terms of pacing at the start, just use an HRM, or even perceived exertion and just make sure you’re not going above aerobic level much. HR will drift sure, but your zones will still stay the same more or less. There’s not much need to overthink it beyond that. @JUGE_FREDD is right that there are also plenty of reasons to push harder at the start and then settle in, but you just have to be conscious of it.

I’ve been using a hrm the last year or so. I think I know what I’m doing?

I

Definitely not the only strategy, but it really works for me. A few of my riding buddies have blown up on our longer rides and I watch them overdo it in the beginning. Perceived effort is tricky riding with others as the adrenaline naturally makes you want to keep up even if they are stronger.

you guys think an elite road racer could finish one of these without specific training? i’m thinking of a rider with a high ftp who rarely rides more than 3 hours. asking for a friend…

Yeah you just have to do it. If your fitness is good then it’s just a mental game. Maybe start with 200-300-400 before you try 600 tho

of course that would be the sensible way to do things. somehow, it’s not what i’m drawn to.

just looked it up and local clubs seem to only do 600s around the summer solstice.