Ray Finkle and a clean pair of shorts. AKA the thread where Tarck helps me build a sw8 Marino

Marino got a big burst of customers from the Hardcourt Bike Polo scene

people that want to try eccentric geometries on the cheap and don’t mind turdly butts

the price is 90% of the draw for me. I’ll probably ride this bike 25% of the time and I doubt I’ll ever do anything bigger than 50 miles on it so I don’t need/want to spend $700+ on a frame but I want something less turdy than a hi-ten Jamis.

I’m less sure Marino is a one man show these days, on IG I got the impression he has some other people in the shop (I think it was something about workspace restrictions on number of people in the room slowing down order fulfilment)

Though I’d assume it’s maybe a couple other people, tops. Still a much smaller operation than the likes of Gunnar

Thanks I was wondering.

As far as building with whatever buttways you like, that I am also very unsure of.

years ago there was some straight gauge involved

but it looks like now their default is always heat treated double butted 4130

1 Like

Marino is not a single guy, he has a bunch of people working for him in the shop but he is “the main guy”. He don’t really have any stock type frames, more than maybe some BMX’s and polo frames which is what was his bread and butter before mtbros found him and started doing some long, low and slack stuff.

He was the main builder getting absolutely DESTROYED financially by the fucking jerks that ran/runs/was behind Sick Bikes… He built a whole batch of frames that he then didn’t get payed for work, cnc, paint and everything. There was a whole bunch of fuckery going on from Sick’s side. He finally decided to try and recoup some of the cost by selling the frames directly after trying to battle them getting payed.

3 Likes

He’s moved away from the turdly buttways and even offer some Reynolds stuff for a slight up charge.

1 Like

I got a drawing back from Marino. They had to lengthen the stays for clearance but I’m going to see what they can do with 40mm clearance instead of 45.

Paint options:

I was hoping for a darker purple but I think i’m going with 14. I have purple-sparkle clear coat from spray.bike I’m gonna hit it with. I also have pink and black
to play around with.

4 Likes

I would fit that bike

I put down a deposit and they’re starting to build.

MSPaint mock up of how I think I’m going to paint it. The powder coat purple from Marino is a bit lighter but I’m going to spray purple sparkles over it and add some fluro pink.

15 Likes

What’s the turnaround?

14-16 weeks.

I made a down payment for an all road frame and fork in late January 2021 and didn’t hear anything for a long while. I received an update three weeks ago that my frame is finally tacked up.

CNC engraved headtube for 20 bucks? Sure, slap a kitty cat on there.

20 Likes

Dope.

16 Likes

yooooo that looks a whole lot like a bicycle frame! some day i’ll get them to do something dumb for me

1 Like

Ready to ship.

14 Likes

how much shipped?

$410

2 Likes

Twinsies! Mine was done in July, but I am waiting on a matching custom fork.

14 Likes

Hell yeah looks awesome! I shoulda got a cool CNC headtube but my ideas are bad.

2 Likes