Recommendations for fixed gear mountain bike

I want a fixed gear mountain bike with full fenders for the winter. I really like the look of old mountain bikes when they still had level toptubes, but I’ve yet to see one with horizontal dropouts. Any affordable classy looking frames I should check out?

Edit - Actually, now that I think about it, a singlespeed cross bike would work great if I wanted to buy new. I’d rather buy an old and inexpensive MTB and work with that.

Probably just keep an eye out for a Giant or Specialized. They were sold in numbers large enough to be found just about anywhere, anything else is needle-in-haystack territory. You’re probably look at pre-92/3ish.

Trek 800.

Check out an old-school RockHopper. They had horizontal dropouts back in the day, and fully rigidness is a plus too.

edith: also, they’re steel.

[quote=Tbirdbassist]Trek 800.

[/quote]

Looks like vertical dropouts.

I don’t know of any older mountain bikes that had horizontal dropouts. Single speed would be a no-brainer, though.

[quote=blickblocks]I want a fixed gear mountain bike with full fenders for the winter. I really like the look of old mountain bikes when they still had level toptubes, but I’ve yet to see one with horizontal dropouts. Any affordable classy looking frames I should check out?

Edit - Actually, now that I think about it, a singlespeed cross bike would work great if I wanted to buy new. I’d rather buy an old and inexpensive MTB and work with that.[/quote]
Blicks,

I know I sound like a broken record, but lack of horizontal dropouts in no-issue. Any front wheel with 20mm through axle disc hub can be converted to an excellent eccentric bolt-on rear for ~$20 you need to spend on a new axle with off center bolt holes. I am running such a setup my second winter and it is still going strong.

Horizontal TT look cool, but it is just a matter of personal taste over practicality - slopping TTs make stiffer frames for the same weight, regardless of original motivation behind them being lowering the manufacturing costs by reducing the number of frame sizes.

Mass acceptance of mountain bikes came right around the time that higher quality bikes started switching to vertical dropouts, so many of the MTB’s you’ll find with horizontal drops will be low end. Not all though. And I wouldn’t turn down a good deal on a more modern SS frame if it came your way.

Where does one get one of these offset axles?

id say buy an old geared mtb and convert it. so you can return it to geared later down the road

look for a used bianchi kiss or somehting similar

Mine come from a friend-machinist. All it is 20mm alu rod of appropriate length with a tapped holes. Additionally, you need spacers ( cut-off handlebars 22mm OD or 1’’ carbon steerers ~20mm ID are excellent candidates) and bolts.

Posted too many times:

I’ve got a Nishiki from 89/90 w/horizontal dropouts.
Edit: Pueblo

If you can find an old Specialized that would be my choice. Those were cool frames. Start scanning every garage sale when the weather gets better.

Edit: Like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/18-Specialized-Stumpjumper-Vintage-Mountain-Bike-EXTRA_W0QQitemZ310129163011QQihZ021QQcategoryZ98083QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mine come from a friend-machinist. All it is 20mm alu rod of appropriate length with a tapped holes. Additionally, you need spacers ( cut-off handlebars 22mm OD or 1’’ carbon steerers ~20mm ID are excellent candidates) and bolts.

Posted too many times:

[/quote]

Dude, we need a complete rundown of the operation. Is this in the DIY thread?

i have a miyata country runner that would work for you. has a fixed wheel on it already. let me know if you’re interested. i probably have 2 or 3 other frames as well.

you’re short though if i remember. what size would you be looking for?

vobopl, Thanks for reposting. I need to try and build a eccentric 20mm front hub. links please???

I recently bought a completely unbranded horizontal drop out/straight top tube single speed mountain bike at an auction for 30 bucks. Wish i could ID it, but there is no markings anywhere.

Why not just a touring frame something with clearance and fender mounts. I’m guessing from the description it won’t ever see the trail?