Roadbikes

I mostly lurk on the various bike forumz but today I am coming out of the woodwork to ask a question. I’m looking to get a roadbike for doing long rides and some racing (hill climbs and roadraces). I’d like something in steel (although a carbon fork is ok) and preferably modern ie threadless fork, and modern components, although I’d consider something vintage if it was a really good deal. The only non-custom fully steel bike I know of is the Gunnar Roadie but I’m sure i’m missing out on tons of other stuff. I’d also like to have the chance to ride the bike before buying, so I’m not sure I want to hunt around on ebay. If there was a good complete bike available for a decent price I’d like to go that route but I’m also not opposed to buying a frame and building it up. I’m also going to be selling a Bareknuckle, a 90’s Cannondale Track and some other parts to fund the purchase. I may try to trade them too, once I’m ready. I’m basically just looking for some suggestions for bikes/frames or of the best/cheapest way to go about doing this. Thanks and uh… :bear:

[quote=“doofo”]how much $
?[/quote]

Depends on how much the sale of the tarck bikes bring in but I’d say around $1300.
edit make that “less than $1300” - lower is better

trade you my cannondale SR800 with DA hubs and Ultegra 600 for your cannondale track. maybe.

Hmmmm… what size?

54cm st, 54.5 tt.

Sorry, I’m looking for a 59 or 60.

DeBernardi makes some good frames. Gunnars are really nice, but are pricey. You could probably build a Soma Smoothie for under $1300.

Is $1300 for the frame or the whole bike? You can get a lot of frame for $1300. If it’s for the bike, check out some of the big companies steel offerings this year. Bianchi and raleigh are producing steel again. maybe more are too.

awfully tall for being boneless. :bear:

just a tip, you should be able to get a fair bit for that cannondale track, there was a thread on bike forums a while ago about one on ebay selling for some exorbitant amount.

edit: found the thread for you - http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.ph … cannondale

[quote=“TimArchy”]DeBernardi makes some good frames. Gunnars are really nice, but are pricey. You could probably build a Soma Smoothie for under $1300.

Is $1300 for the frame or the whole bike? You can get a lot of frame for $1300. If it’s for the bike, check out some of the big companies steel offerings this year. Bianchi and raleigh are producing steel again. maybe more are too.[/quote]

I wish I had 1300 to spend on just the frame. Then I’d go custom. I’ll check out the Bianchi and Raleigh websites, thanks.

why must it be steel? just wondering

cause steel is real!

I’d like steel for durability and comfort. It’s what I’m used to riding. I also think they look better than most aluminum/carbon frames and I’m not totally sold on the “vibration dampening” of carbon seatstays. It seems like most of the nicer bikes have them nowadays. However, I’m not inflexible and I suppose if I could find a good deal on an aluminum bike I’d go for it if I didn’t have a better steel option.

the one carbon seatstay/al. main triangle bike i rode, i did end up liking. give it a chance and try it out, i was skeptical myself.

http://bustedcarbon.blogspot.com/

:bear:

I rode steel exclusively for a long time. Then an Al track bike came into my hands and my road bike is now Al (Giant TCR). Not really by choice. It was what was available. I can feel a little difference, but not enough to make me turn down a good aluminum deal.

At this price range, you can be assured that the steel bike will be at least 2-3lb heavier than Al though.

For ~$1300, you should be able to assemble a pretty nice bike, if you want. Old steel frames don’t fetch that much on eBay, and you could pick up a parts group and some wheels for not much more.

This year though, lots of companies will be selling steel “sport” road bikes. Kona, Bianchi, Raleigh, and probably a few more.

If you’re seriously looking at a Gunnar Roadie, those suckers are hot. I’d love to have one myself. Basically a non-lugged Waterford. The Smoothie is nice, too, that was my second suggestion but Tim stole it. :colbert:

Also, what bonechilling said… the whole modern-components-old-frame thing is (I guess?) getting kind of popular and all those bikes look pretty nice. I dunno though, you should give al/carbon a try if it’s in your wallet (al at least should be, if you’re looking at a Roadie…). You never know what you’ll end up liking until you try it.

That is sexy(atleast at that angle).

Dude, seriously think about aluminum or carbon.

I have a 60?cm specialized tarmac I’m selling… its complete (minus wheels and seat) if you are interested.