Saddle Sores

1. Lycra shorts. I’ve found that spandex/cotton blend boxer briefs under basketball or gym shorts work really well also.

2. Lower your saddle. You should not have full leg extension at the bottom of your spin, nor should your hips be rocking side to side. If you’re going numb do this and/or number 3. I doubt anyone really needs to tip their saddle down.

3. Adjust your saddle backward or forward until your “butt bones” are taking most of your weight on the most comfortable and stable part of the saddle. I find that while firmer saddles are harder on my butt, I don’t chafe as much.

4. Butt butter. If you don’t have any real chamois cream a little Vaseline works wonders.

Jeans or cargo shorts, on anything made of pure cotton with thick seams and zippers, are a one way ticket to hell, especially if you’re going commando. Cotton is worse than useless when it is wet, it holds that salty sweat next to your skin and does not breathe or dry out. Get yourself some Lycra or wool.

only time i got sores is when i rode from hillsboro to NE Portland over the west hills in jeans. I wasnt riding a particularly friendly gear ratio for that either, 49x17.

[quote=“middy”]1. Lycra shorts. I’ve found that spandex/cotton blend boxer briefs under basketball or gym shorts work really well also.

1. Lower your saddle. You should not have full leg extension at the bottom of your spin, nor should your hips be rocking side to side. If you’re going numb do this and/or number 3. I doubt anyone really needs to tip their saddle down.

2. Adjust your saddle backward or forward until your “butt bones” are taking most of your weight on the most comfortable and stable part of the saddle. I find that while firmer saddles are harder on my butt, I don’t chafe as much.

3. Butt butter. If you don’t have any real chamois cream a little Vaseline works wonders.

Jeans or cargo shorts, on anything made of pure cotton with thick seams and zippers, are a one way ticket to MIDNIGHT!, especially if you’re going commando. Cotton is worse than useless when it is wet, it holds that salty sweat next to your skin and does not breathe or dry out. Get yourself some Lycra or wool.[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gu4oRzFnP4

I fucking love Taarna. :bear:

So is chamois cream worth it? I only use vaseline just because of the price of chamois cream and never had issues with vaseline.
Also adujsting saddle fore/aft positioning for butt fitment…to a certain extent maybe if you can’t change out saddles.
I prefer to adjust the fore/aft mainly for finding that spot where I feel “strongest” with the least muscle fatigue. If that makes sense.

First post! Can’t resist jumping into a conversation about ass chaffing. A cheaper alternative to chamois cream is Nivea cream. Comes in a can like this: I just use it like chamois cream and it works fine for me but I’ve never used that fancy Assos stuff so can’t compare. Also if you get chaffed easily make sure to wash with hot soapy water IMMEDIATELY after long rides. I learned that the hard way :bear:

My crap is a little tingly right now actually. A warm evening and an impulsive 25 mile ride in jeans and cotton shorts have me feeling a little less than fresh. Really wish I had my shorts in my bag.

Im a little surprised at the lack of people here that dont own cycling shorts and at how many dont get chaffage.

^Most of us don’t ride bikes. I only started this thread out of idle curiosity.

1. Vaseline works fine for me as a taint lube. I’ve never tried the spendy stuff.

2. Washing your taint immediately after riding with an antibacterial soap really helps to prevent boils from forming. I use some cheap generic stuff every day in the summer, when i am doing a big commute in the heat.

3. Sometimes you need to point your saddle up, not down. Pointing my saddle down causes me to slide down to the skinny part, which causes numb dick. Pointing it up keeps my sit bones in place and allows my weiner full functionality. I catch shit for my insanely up tilted b17, but unlike some of my cruel detractors I can ride cents and more with no numbness. In general, I recommend that everyone experiment with their own fit setup and not be afraid to try something that seems radical or contrary to common sense, if only for a couple minutes.

b17’s are great tilted up. Other saddles, notsomuch.

Chamois cream is great for long rides, especially on hot days. We’re bringing this into the shop, and I plan on using it for CX season.

They sell that at the Sugar Cycles Specialized Concept store here. They sell a bunch of different ones but that one by far has the funniest name.

yea i saw that.

i’d like to hear some sophisticated roadie snob from sugarland call in and ask “Hi do you carry deez nuts?”

Hahahaha… wonderful.

Where the hell were you yesterday? I didn’t so much get a ride invite.

Granted, I woulda said no because my arm is killing me but still… woulda been nice…

So, I think alot of people either have their bikes set up all wrong for them OR their bikes don’t fit them. When I first got my kilo, I couldn’t even go for like a 4 mile ride without my vag going numb, and then the next day my butt bones would hurt like hell. My bf and I fucked around with the stem/saddle for along time trying to get it to work for me.
I found out the hard way the bike may fit my legs but I am just to short torsoed. Bad times.

And about the sensitive skin thing- it sucks. I live in Florida too, so even walking around outside with jeans on most of the year will breaks me out (ode to the pain of the rash), especially with shaving added into the hellish combo. So riding a bike is interesting, you could say.

i thought it might have been a first ride kind of adjustment period for me. Was yours a pain in the hipflexer almost as if it was going numb, and then your ass just super soar? it was heaven on earth for the first 2 miles, then the next 20miles were fucking hell then it just went away, but i was definitely not a fan of the novara shorts as i was hoping. Do cycling pants get better over time or is the first ride a general indicator of what the riding experience will be like?

Are there general rules for seat adjustment? for example, pointing the seat down will create more pain on the assbone, and pointing up is worse for the sack?

edit: spelling and grammar

really? interesting.

i have a 1oz can of this sitting next to me right now and i dont even like it on my hands so much. whatever works though. im just trying to get rid of hand calluses and that was the smallest amount of lotion i could buy that wasnt like $7 burts bees or badger.

Please link to some good/preferred cycling shorts! Good, but cheap. Best for the least amount of money you’d say?

I have 1 pair (pretty old) and need some new ones-- especially after reading this thread.

This.
What the fuck guys?
I’ve never owned cycling shorts and I’ve never had a saddle sore in my life.
Sometimes I wear boxers, sometimes I wear briefs, sometimes I freeball. It makes no difference.
My bikes fit me so they don’t hurt to ride.[/quote]

word.
I’ve ridden centuries in gym shorts, learn to adjust saddles.
for the lady in the audience, women specific saddles are your best friend, find something with a cutout. Saddles are one thing people skimp on that makes no sense to me, it makes the most direct difference on your riding experience, but people are afraid to try a few out because of cost.

[quote=“JayNev”]Please link to some good/preferred cycling shorts! Good, but cheap. Best for the least amount of money you’d say?

I have 1 pair (pretty old) and need some new ones-- especially after reading this thread.[/quote]

Pearl Izumi Ultrasensors are what I’ve been riding, after about a year they are now starting to wear thin in a few areas and the stitching is coming undone in a few others. Anyways, good pair of shorts for me.