Say it ain't so: The Assploded Bike Parts Picture Thread.

oh sick.

We are just very sentimentally attached to this one.
It’s also really bad timing bc we just bought a used travel Tandem instead of biting the bullet and puting a deposit down on Co-Motion then.

1 Like

Does it fit well?

Get a new tandem section?

It’s not completely dead; I’d lop off the top of the tube, then sleeve an extension on to make up for the missing height (and get a REALLY LONG chairpost to cut down on the stresses at the top of the sleeve.)

1 Like

I’ve had 3 frames with this exact failure mode fixed for customers. It’s about as easy as it gets.

4 Likes

Broke my second Ottolock, RIP. I think these are a wear item and need a bit more TLC to extend their life.
They did replace the first time and give 50% off coupon the second time so can’t be that sad.

They said they have made a bunch of improvements on the newer model including more reliable innards. My second seems to have died from “Activated Breakaway Button” But interestingly I was still able to yank the ribbon out with the code set despite it clamping down with high pressure.
https://ottodesignworks.com/technical-support

1 Like

I use my daughters tiny cable lock for “coffee stops.” it uses a word to unlock. the word is DUST. way cheaper than an otto lock and probably more secure. it’s also sparkly purple

6 Likes

This is a first for me, just snapped while I was shifting. I think maybe this stuff wasn’t made to hold up to bikecamping all the time.

2 Likes

Do you shift harder when camping than when doing a non camping ride?

3 Likes

I had one of those. The word was “take”. Seemed appropriate.

2 Likes

I’m thinking it might be a byproduct of being left out in the woods and rain many overnights and pulling trailers and shifting under load with tons of extra weight?

rode wet and put away hard

2 Likes

Fixed!

17 Likes

Wow that’s super clean looking.

somewhere around 4-5 years ago we did this to @derrickito

and he left it in his aluminum seat tube

15 Likes

That has definitely undergone a chemical reaction.

Holy shit!

1 Like

14 Likes

RUST
NEVER
SLEEPS

6 Likes

Whoopsie

3 Likes