Say it ain't so: The Assploded Bike Parts Picture Thread.

Broke a spoke even though the spokes are protected!

8 Likes

the spoke protector is protecting the chain from the spoke, in an interesting turn of events.

5 Likes

Found this Otto Lock in the road yesterday, seems to have been crushed by death machine tires.
How should I further asplode it?

1 Like

Saw that video the other week, was thinking of trying different scissor shaped tools in the house to see how soft it actually is.
Wondering if my cheap keychain multi-tool scissors could cut through.

I couldn’t cut it with normal heavy snips, appears to need compound action snips and sharp blade like that guy in the video used.
Also tried both hacksaws I had and it’s interesting to feel how the blade gets gummed up. I could only make progress when I put it in the vise and used the saw really close to the clamp cutting perpendicular. It’s too flexible to try and saw while floating or laying flat.

2 Likes

Very cool thanks Andrew. I was feeling sketched out about using my Otto lock after I saw that video. I feel a lot better now.

I mean, it was cut apart with a $15 pair of generic sheers you can pick up at any big box or hardware store. I still think it’s the best lock on the market for quick runs, where you bike will be out of view for a moment or two, but there’s no way I’d trust that thing where I had previously used a hardened steel shackled U-lock.

Now I really want some compound snips for the tool box.

Wiss M3, just like in the video, they are great for cutting thicker shim material and other things sheet metal.

Squirrel did you try a Dremel or a larger angle grinder+cutoff wheel?

how does it hold up to FIRE

Will it blend?

2 Likes

Have you tried eating it?

Squirrel, send me a scrap and I can try this

Oh god be careful, cut off wheels and fabric are really bad combo. If the blade grabs which is a real possibility some seriously bad things could happen

1 Like

Glad you did that Andrewm I like my ottolock. Most of the time I use it to lock my front wheel to my frame and use my U lock to lock rest of the bicycle.

The ottolock is perfect for quick lock ups. I carry a long one and a short one for longer lockups to secure the front wheel. The way I see it, a dedicated bike thief is going to be carrying tools to defeat the most common kinds of locks, U-locks and cable locks. So he’s gonna be armed with a grinder, a bottle jack and/or side cutters. None of those tools is going to be much good against the otto. If I know I’m going to be locking up for hours, I’ll bring a U-lock but for normal everyday quick stops and even for like two hours while I’m at the gym (where I can see my bike from certain areas) I use my two ottos which weigh significantly less that my single mini U.
All of this is atmo, of course.

Yeah, the ottolock seems fine for just locking up at a place to run in and grab food or something while out on a ride, rather than for locking up while at work or overnight. I’d buy one.

I was ripping trails, then a frozen rut ripped me :crying_cat_face:
RIP B&M Ixon Core headlight. Best 45 € light I ever knew.

Google Photos

1 Like

Picked up this old frame for a song. It is beat all to hell.
Multiple small dings, surface rust, missing paint, crack at the seat post binder slot, dented/scarred on the seat tube where someone either way-overclamped a FD, or just clamped the whole frame in a stand too tight.

It was once a very nice frameset, built in 1974 by Mark DiNucci.
57.5 seat tube X 55.5 top tube, 120 O.L.D. in the rear. Clears 700x34c tires.

I think I will build it up for townie cruising, singlespeed or maybe fixed.

!

5 Likes