Sealed hubs. Talk to me.

http://www.businesscycles.com/thub-formula.htm

my LBS track parts shop.

Fairly positive Gran Compe = Formula after looking at both hubs in my hands side by side. Better hardware and no flange cutouts, otherwise same hub.

Srsly, Profile or Zipp. Those Zipps are super baller but really expensive, but the way they seal them is completely different than other sealed hubs and very smart engineering.

is it pretty much personal preference on which is better between sealed hubs and open hubs?

unsealed track hubs require way more frequent servicing, whether you ride in the rain or not. sealed require just about no maintenance. (just swap in a new set of cart. bearings when the current one wear out)

unsealed is way better if you ride them exclusively on the track.

yeah, sealed bearings are the way to go unless youre only at the track

what is this “maintanence” you speak of?

Dont you back talk me you goth bicycle freak!
Get the zippz

just go with the DA’s and be done. i had a set of superbe pros that i rode rain or shine for about two and a half years (before they got stoled) with nary a problem. loose ball != unsealed. what do you think all those guys delivering packages were riding on before formula and all those other hubs hit the market not too long ago. i guaran-goddam-tee you they weren’t all riding Phils.

Suntour Superbe = semi-sealed

The real PITA about looseball IMO is getting the cones adjusted perfectly. There’s a tiny sweet spot that you have to achieve every time…

[quote=“deathhare”]The newer Zipp hubs…end thread. These things are fucking gorgeous.

[/quote]

just quoting this so it can be in the next page. gorgeous.

[quote=“andre nickatina”]Suntour Superbe = semi-sealed

The real PITA about looseball IMO is getting the cones adjusted perfectly. There’s a tiny sweet spot that you have to achieve every time…[/quote]

that was my point. looseball hubs are semi-sealed. and unless you’re seriously OCD, you don’t need to adjust your hubs every six months.

And they can handle some rain riding. Just require some attention now and again. People seem to think theyll just self destruct or something if they see rain.
Sealed hubs havent always been around…

I know they won’t explode, but portlands sun and rain are not mixed together so it’s not totally unreasonable to have two sets. Just switch twice a year

repacking unsealed isn’t a big deal unless you start losing bearings.

[quote=“deathhare”]The newer Zipp hubs…end thread. These things are fucking gorgeous.

[/quote]

Reports from people who ride and race on these hubs is that they suck. At the track here, I’ve noticed that lots of people have 303 or 404 rims laced to DA hubs, and these are people who get their wheels for free from Zipp.

This is a pretty useless question and a bit off topic but I’m bored so i’m gonna ask anyway. For the few who own sealed hubs and don’t ride in the rain or snow, has anyone considered popping the shields on their hub bearings? I reason I ask is because in my previous life in skateboarding, a lot of people including myself rode bearings exclusively with popped shields, usually swiss or china bones. They were easier to maintain, and we never skated around anything wet. Im not saying it’s a good idea for cycling but i’m just curious if anyone has tried or thought about it. Sorry for the loser post.

They dont need maintaining. Theyre cheap.
Keep the caps on and when they die get new bearings.

zelah, does Dean still have black ano. Miches? I haven’t been by in a couple years but he did a while back. That’s the way to go.

I haven’t seen them if he does. I was originally going to use silver miche’s (which I am now trying to sell). Black miche’s would be killed