Sealed hubs. Talk to me.

explain this. also is this the same for suntour superbe road hubs (and even so, would it just be a generational thing)? I’m curious about potential maintenance for my “new” road bike.

It seems like most people tend to use the term “sealed bearings” to mean “cartridge bearings,” but the two are not synonymous. It is true that virtually all cartridge bearing setups are sealed, but loose ball systems can be well-sealed, too. Many (if not most) modern road hubs use loose balls that are protected by various types of seals. I believe that some Shimano hubs (including mountain bike models) use a type of labyrinth seal that is quite effective.

True. My Ultegra hubs are definitely loose ball. I have ridden that bike through a few monsoon type rains and they are still as smooth as ever.

I am not sure how well loose ball track hubs are sealed, though. It isn’t as if they were designed for off-track use.

explain this. also is this the same for suntour superbe road hubs (and even so, would it just be a generational thing)? I’m curious about potential maintenance for my “new” road bike.[/quote]

From what I’ve been told from different mechanics, Suntour’s Superbe track hubs were semi-sealed and would fare better off in shit weather than say, Dura Ace track hubs.

But like Shants said, looseball doesn’t necessarily mean unsealed. Dura Ace road hubs are both looseball and sealed…

yeah, that’s what i said a page and a half ago.

(btw, good to see you posting, Shants.)

… THE Shants?

i certainly hope so.

between shants and kegnasty I think tarckbike is now official

kegnasty is my favorite poster ever (besides doofo). does he even ride a bike?

hell no

Kegnasty drives a Civic with all those things on it that douchebags put on their cars.