Shimano Alfine wheel for 250USD - can nothing possiblie be wrong?

Your reasoning is sound.

Sounds like the A319 isn’t worth the extra 30 euros.

I guess I’m just kneejerking towards for a more expensive wheel. This build has ended up being way over budget, so my new tactic is to ignore prices.

i’ve got an 8-speed jtek shifter for sale for anyone who ends up with a Nexus or Alfine.

fitty bucks.

WUT?!

also: I’d like tzusing’s opinion on Shimano rims and if Shimano makes them in house or what

ordered 8-spd shifter, have 7-speed wheel.

oops.

oh, okay. I though maybe you were gettin’ out the IGH game, and got sad.

Pretty sexy, gotta say.

nowai

oh man ian

epic goof thread is thattaway

[quote=Classic Stever]oh man ian

epic goof thread is thattaway[/quote]

:colbert:

I’M JUS PLAYIN WIT CHO BAYBEE

No one knows nothin about the Shimano rims/wheels?

The Versa Alfine brifter is now available from QBP for $150, if any of you North American guys have shop access.

there’s a set on ebizzle too
http://cgi.ebay.com/Versa-8-speed-internal-gear-road-shifters-alfine-nexus_W0QQitemZ250489329738QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3a5253d84a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

bexley, I’m sure those wheels are fine. It should come down to:
whether you have 135 spacing
whether you need disc brakes
whether you’re more comfortable with traditional wheels or ‘wheel system’-type wheels with straight pull spokes

you seem like a fairly traditionalist dude who likes the old school interchangeability/rebuildability of traditional bike parts, and I didn’t see disc mounts on the BJ. Get a 36hole Nexus laced 3 cross to a traditional rim.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Shimano-Nexus-8-Laufradsatz-mit-schaltung-lenker-tretla_W0QQitemZ220470356544QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSport_Radsport_Fahrradteile?hash=item33550eaa40&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
i couldn’t find the premium on ebay.de
http://cgi.ebay.de/28-Zoll-Fahrrad-Laufrad-Shimano-Nexus-Inter-8-Rigida_W0QQitemZ260464155707QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSport_Radsport_Fahrradteile?hash=item3ca4df9c3b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

From my understanding, no. But don’t quote me on that. Shimano factory is actually just down the street from me but they don’t make rims there.
Also Mavic uses a Chinese factory but they have people hanging inside checking the quality of the stuff. So it is hard to say what in house actually means. I don’t think Mavic owns the factory.

Also, i don’t think this is something to worry about. A good chunk of the bikes raced in the TDF are made in factories that the brand don’t own. But that hasn’t been a problem. It’s kinda passe for westerners to own factories.

so theoretically a Shimano rim could come from the same chinese factory that makes Mavic rims?

Don’t get me wrong, I think both companies put out good products, but there is definitely a western desire for ‘authenticity’ which manifests itself in knowing the provenance of consumer goods, i.e. paying more for H+SONs knowing that you’re a small company and that the rim you sell is made by you, has your name on it, and in some way your reputation rises and falls based on its performance. There are fewer levels of obfuscation between the maker and end user, certainly a currently desirable quality.

Bexley: I think it’s probably harder to make an internal hub (look at the s3x failure) than it is to make a rim or wheel system. Basically, if you trust Shimano to make the hub, the wheel should be good enough for you. I’m sure it’s plenty well made.

But he doesn’t make the rims himself. I think he’s made it clear that he works with a major Taiwanese manufacturer to produce his rims.

oh, I thought he was involved in the manufacturing end and decided to produce rims.

and I think they’re made in China.

Oh, I trust they’re fine. Just trying to understand what they’re all about. 24 spokes. Wheel system (which I didn’t know the term for). That’s what I know nothing about. Does the spoke length and method of lacing these hubs make it more difficult to fix the wheel wherever you may find yourself, and if so, why did Shimano make an Alfine wheel like this?

You’re right, I do always tend to a traditional wheel which is why I know nothing about the alternatives, but I want to know this time.

Btw, I’ve got 130 spacing and I don’t use disc brakes. Is it that the Shimano wheel doesn’t support disc brakes?