Should I Purchase This Item?

At the local swap meet, nothing mind blowing, but nice:

1982 Trek 614. 55cm, Reynolds 531/Ishiwata stays. Will fit 700x32 + fenders. $65. (Has OG parts, but would buy for the frame mostly).

SRAM Force 10sp. shifters/derailleurs/ brakes/cassette/chain. $150.

Specialized Allez steel lugged but modern braze ons and stuff, from 94 or so. Old campy 8 speed, but the frameset is real sweet. $200

Various road wheels like brand new Mavic Aksium Race 700c/rim for $60.

New: Velocity disc hubs, Aileron disc rims 700c for $100.

If you want a sweet set of CX tubular wheels they are so cheap.

SLX 10s shifter set $35.
XT 2x10 cranks new $75

Needing decent sunglasses for almost a month of mountain biking/camping out west. I have never bought decent sunglasses before and holy shit are they expensive. I have a big head and would prefer to not spend a ton. Any recommendations?

indecent sunglasses have always worked fine for me. I strongly prefer nonpolarized, and thus liked Oakley Frogskins LX.

1 Like

Get something that wraps around your face, at least if your eyes are somewhat sensitive. I hate wind getting in there. Also, photochromatic lenses are worth the money IMO. I’d suggest that you either buy the cheapest disposable garbage in a big box store or something from a reputable brand with photochromatic lenses and decent scratch resistance etc. I use a rudy project rydon. Personally I hate all coloured lenses (yellow, orange, brown, blue). Neutral gray only.

Past season sunnies are always on sale at steep & cheap, evo, Sierra, etc. Don’t pay retail.

Also there’s no accounting for taste but either go full one piece eurogoggle or get a style you can wear off the bike also.

1 Like

Superstar-Category_Superstar_562x408_bretHart

2 Likes

New Recons for $40 NZ. ($26 freedom ).
Is there a reason they are dumping these?
Laces not cool again?

I’d buy them. That’s cheap for pretty much any shoe. And laces for something like gravel is totes fine.

That’s what I figured too. Just checking to see if they were a model that the soles fell off or something. A shop-bro deal thru a friend of the shop-bro. Its funny what shoes last and what don’t.

Goodr BFGs are my new thing for running glasses. Oversized wayfarer frames that stay put for $35. Wild colors are just a bonus.

1 Like

I just bought these on normal clearance pricing. They seem pretty decent so far, they are easily as stiff as my last pair of carbon road shoes.

Probably gonna buy some photochromatic glasses off steep and cheap or backcountry and hope they fit my wide head. Thanks for the input!

EDIT: Ordered some of the BFGs. Ill try em!

1 Like

I like mine, though i am starting to grow weary of laces. they look so classy i aint mad though. plenty stiff, plenty comfy, would buy a second pair at $40

i also aint racin’ or nothing

Should I buy a close-out All City Nature Boy 853 frame and fork for $391? The closeout price on the 853 model is like $30 more than the closeout price on the standard one, which I seriously regret not buying last year when they had a blemmed one in my size for $225.

On one hand, it’s a great deal and I could see myself riding it around town and on some trails. On the other, I will probably never race cyclocross because it costs money, requires travel and involves spending a Sunday doing something which isn’t skateboarding.

If you don’t mind the odd fit and sizing of All City bikes then the only acceptable model to get is the 853.

Dammit I went looking for bikes for you and now instead I have this on my own watch list:

2 Likes

my dad and his weird recumbent friends have a “multiple bike owner support group” where if you’re struggling with the prospect of owning another bike, they offer support.

i say you do it- by my count you have 3, maybe 4 bikes max. i hope that’s a low count and i hope you add that +1

1 Like

It’s really hard to find cyclocross bikes that fit me, but I appreciate your endeavor! That Kelly looks fucking rad

Goddamnit I have zero need for that Kelly but I waaaaaaaant it!

Regarding sunglasses. The Optic Nerve brand is super high quality, has polarized options. Very cheap! Like 45 bucks for a nice pair. I’m a huge fan, they’re also quite durable