So does the Motobecane Fantom Cross UNO totally suck?

I remember a bunch of people whose opinions I respect not liking the bike, but it’s still the best deal going for a raceable SS cross bike (that I know of). Is it raceable? Complete shit? Help me, I wanna do SS this year, too (chasing that low hanging fruit).

1st

old fram x eno collabo?

Good to see that they put proper levers on it now. Don’t see why not, rear brake cable should be on top but whatever. I did my first two seasons of cross on something very similar.

surely you can do better, no? someone get bc a ss cross bike!

Are you not a shop rat anymore?

Just have Anchovy find you something in his bike adventures.

[quote=bonechilling]I remember a bunch of people whose opinions I respect not liking the bike, but it’s still the best deal going for a raceable SS cross bike (that I know of). Is it raceable? Complete shit? Help me, I wanna do SS this year, too (chasing that low hanging fruit).

[/quote]

For not too much over the price of that, I’m (hopefully) buying Rusty’s One One Il Pompino frame and ordering the rest of the parts needed from On One, using levers, saddle, and pedals I already have. I’m sure you can find something similar used. I remember you ride shorter bikes, so you may have a harder time, but I still bet you can pull it off. Hunt for an old Trek with canti bosses of something and get it rideable, then replace crucial parts as the season goes along?

I’d do my best to avoid those Unos unless I already had spare bottom bracket, headset, post, bars, stem, and possibly even wheels.

I have one that I raced for a year… I taco’d the crap rear wheel… thats about all that went bad.

I’m aware that scouring eBay/Craigslist and eventually landing on a killer deal for an old touring bike is an option, but it also involves lots of luck and will inevitably take more time than I have (cross seasons starts a month from today). The same is true with an Eno. The cheapest option is just a cheap-o aluminum frame and a chain tensioner, and I might go that route, if everyone’s opinion of this bike is that it’s a stout pig-iron piece of shit that you couldn’t race on.

Should’ve bought my Van Dessel. :colbert:

it might be a stout pig-iron piece of shit, but that won’t hold you back from racing on it…

400 complete is certainly a fine deal, but you’ll pretty much need to replace saddle, stem, bars, and levers right away. It’s more like buying a frameset with cranks, brakes, and wheels.

why do you need to replace the saddle / stem / bars / or levers on the current spec?

you would probably need to change the freewheel for gearing purposes… but it is definitely a race-able bike.

it’s the only bike i ride and i love the shit out of it.
back wheel doesn’t really take a whole lot of abuse.
What can I say? You’re gonna switch out the bars and saddle. The tires are actually quite rideable. the levers are now there, the braze on is in the right place…
you’re good to go.

Did I mention I have like four thousand miles on it?

The thing is a tank. I liked mine as it was originally and love it now(w/ new disc fork, front disc, rear fixed, risers). I realized I’m not really a cx bike kinda guy, I’d rather stick to road or mtb none of that weird inbetween shit.

[quote=dmotobear]why do you need to replace the saddle / stem / bars / or levers on the current spec?

you would probably need to change the freewheel for gearing purposes… but it is definitely a race-able bike.[/quote]

Cuz the stock saddle on that bike is generic garbage?

Hell, the saddle that came on my Cross RC is garbage, and it’s supposedly a “top shelf” cross bike.

I never replaced the stock saddle on my uno cross, its not great but i’ve sat on worse. IRON TAINT

word,
I rode the shit out of its stock saddle.

Once you go selle italia slr x nice bibshorts you never wanna ride anything else. :colbert: