Soma Track Hubs.

Made a thread over on BF too, but thats rarely helpful…

I love the way these look, and they feel solid. But, I’m a little wary since they do seem pricey and I’ve never seen them mentioned on any forums.

Anyone have anything pos/neg to say? Need to find something to build on the Open Pro’s I’m buyin.

meh, I’d go for formulas or just buck up and buy suzue’s or something.

Yea formulas are pretty standard unless you want to go for some high end action.

surly makes decent things, though i think they might be rebranded formulas now. My surly rear hub isnt (I dont think) and looks to be cup and cone type deal, though I’m not sure (I should find out)

last two wheel builds have been formula’s… kinda want to taste something different. Fix/fix rear threading is also pretty important to this decision making…

Does anyone have an opinion on Dia-Compe Gran Compe’s?

Get something with a low flange. They’re lighter, look classy, may be cheaper.

I don’t agree with the classiness comment.

But if you think its cheaper, I’ll have a look around.

+1, low flange are def classy when paired with something box section or close (like an Open Pro)

^suggest some shit.

Miche for one… I don’t remember if you can get them in fix/fix though.

low/high, what takes more abuse?

low flange phils and dura aces are both quite a bit cheaper than high flange, and you can get fix/fix in both

Go with Phil low flange for class/durabilty.

Hub failure isn’t usually an issue with properly built wheels. I know everyone likes to think they’re “da bomb” but even then, the lifetime of a decent hub will probably be that of a handful of rims. Cartridge bearing are usually your best best for street use.

meh, the soma’s are fine

I like Phils or Dura Ace but if you don’t want to be a hipstahh profile racing has some nice ones (http://www.profileracing.com/estore2/in … 5?catid=24).

[quote=“jasonm”]last two wheel builds have been formula’s… kinda want to taste something different. Fix/fix rear threading is also pretty important to this decision making…

Does anyone have an opinion on Dia-Compe Gran Compe’s?

[/quote]

i have a set of gran compes, i like them. i seem to remember reading they are similar/the same as formulas. I could be wrong though, they do feel a bit “smoother” than formula/velocity hubs I’ve seen.

I’ve been giving Dura Ace a lot of consideration, but I’d prefer to have something sealed for daily use and eventually when i have a good weather only ride I’d probably be more inclined to build some.