Souplesse Casings and Bike Soup - The Tire Thread

so these are 20" for my katu-e but…
1.5k miles on kenda k-rads before i started getting flats
1.9k miles on schwalbe kojak before i started getting flats
3.2k miles on schwalbe big ben plus currently. no flats

k-rads were a-ok, kojak was nicer rolling. i think kojak used to be a tarck fav before the resist nomad and tioga powerblock. schwalbe big ben plus has been the most wooden feeling but so far the most reliable.

1 Like

I’ve been quite happy with my Geax Booze Light, which I now see are available again some places as the Vittoria Booze Light.

Vittoria Tattoo Light 26x2.3 might be worth a look. 650g, but it’s wire bead and 120tpi, so perhaps the actual suppleness of sidewall is decent.

1 Like

I have these on my eLorry and they’re great for that bike. They were not all that fun before the motor went on.

Tire SQ: I’ve been running 26 x 2.1 Maxxis DTH on my basket bike and they seem…too supple for this purpose? They ride fine with little/no weight in the basket, but feel squirmy with even a moderate load. By the time I have them pumped up to a pressure where they don’t (40-45 psi, depending on how much is in my basket), they don’t feel any more supple than the big apples I rode for 15-ish years prior. Quite a bit less comfortable, and really not faster feeling.

Do I just like tank tires? I switched to these because Schwalbe changed the BA at some point and they were shittier than they were 10 years ago when I bought a stash of them (less round, with more tread material).

Who makes a stiff casing tire that’s really round and has a smooth tread? I’ll probably keep running these DTH at 45 psi for now, since air is a cheap solution to squirm, but I’m not a fan of them for these purposes.

Does Kenda still make the Kiniption?

Damn, these look good but I don’t think I could fit a 2.3 in my frame.

Guess I gotta find an older MTB F/F with a bit more clearance now

Perhaps I am your huckleberry?

1 Like

If you come across any pre-85 MTB with a lugged fork and a long WB in a 20" holler at me!

1 Like

They only coming up as 29 x 2.3 at my end Jimmy ? Is BMX a thing in 29 ?

Found these: 2.0’s

You don’t have wheelie boys?

99% sure these folks are in the UK.

'bout to order some sw8 green Booze Lights. The kind of dumb part which I will build a whole bike around.

2 Likes

Hell yeah. I bet they roll a lot better than my turdly green homages too.

I’ve been seeing the Booze Lights on the Stridsland IG bikes. LMK what they end up measuring once mounted, maybe without lugs I could maybe fit a 2.3" tire, maybe.

2.275" on a 23.5mm outside width rim (ye olde Mavic Crossmax XL).

So, Challenge Strada Bianca obviously isn’t going to work for winter riding in the rain. Been getting punctures every day this week. I think I had front and rear spewing sealant at the same time yesterday. Everything sealed, but today had the walk of shame.

Looking for something around 700c around 38mm ish plus or minus a few. Something fast is preferred, as is something with decent wet grip and puncture protection. Tubeless, of course.

Inb4 terrano suggestion

1 Like

Terreno Zero looks pretty good. Not sure about puncture protection, though.

Well I have no doubt it’s a tougher tire than the challenges. The light(er?) tubeless casing I had is considerably more robust than the Stradas

1 Like

Never had a puncture with the Terreno Dry. BRR says they’re good.

Edit: Ordered a set. Also ordered some Tufo Speedero to try, not sure which Imma throw on first. Probably the Vittoria.

Maxxis Velocita Silkshield maybe if the 40mm listed size is typically overstated?