Souplesse Casings and Bike Soup - The Tire Thread

careful around here mentioning such a tire width.

25mm is plenty huge in a high quality tubular

but you’d have an easier and cheaper time buying a pair of TB14 rims for a direct swap and a pair of GP4000sII tires

(for more money could also do Pacenti Brevet rims and Pro One tubeless tires)

I am looking at pro ones to kom lights for my green bike to get some more road speed feel.

If you do that, be careful about gravel. I ran tubeless Pro Ones on SL23s for a while, but bailed back to Confreries after a handful of brevets where they burped themselves into oblivion on the gravel sections.

Keeping the 42s for gravel and that good long long

what size Pro One? At what pressures were you using them?

Schwalbe started making a 650b x 25mm Pro One just for Canyon’s new women’s line of road race bikes https://www.canyon.com/en/wmn/

2 Likes

What Fred said, and at ~95psi But 25mm isn’t that much wider than the 18mm ID of the SL23, so I’m guessing is that the more enthusiastically gravelly parts just ended up shoving the sidewalls down into the rim and after a mile or so of gravel (and, tbh, about 4 miles of badly maintained 'cuz rural county paved road) most of that 95psi had migrated out to the rest of the atmosphere.

But until then those tires were fiiiine (still pretty good with an inner tube stuffed into them for the return leg of the loop, but not nearly as nice as tubeless.)

My wife recently got a Canyon Endurace with the 650b x 25’s. They’re apparently a big improvement in comfort over 650c x 23 mm Schwalbe Ones. The Canyon also has clearance for the Confreries. It’s an awesome little bike.

Her bikes would earn so many more tarck style points than mine.

I’ve been wondering whether track needs a “well-designed small bike” thread or page on the spreadsheet? Anyone else out there who eschews 700c for fit reasons (rather than 650b-is-trendy reason)?/

2 Likes

absolutely

1 Like

I guess I’d count, despite being 6’+ – 650b lowers my frames enough so I can get my handlebars to a comfortable height and still have enough front end to fit a rando bag onto the machines.

huh, damn, 95 psi is not fucking around for tubeless. I weigh 210 and was running some Sector 28s at like 73r 58f, if memory serves.

The burping does worry me, but I’ve not seen much of it with any of the tubeless road setups I’ve tried. The roads around here aren’t that bad, though, and I do minimal gravel.

I am irrationally happy that a manufacturer has taken up 650b wheels for tiny road bikes.

This is a really great idea.

Yeah, I drop the running pressure of 28s quite a lot; I fill Nomad 28s to ~80psi and I ride them down to about ~50psi before they start to bottom out on railroad tracks. The Ones start to get downright slushy when they get down to that point (I’m at ~200 pounds these days.)

I had no luck with some Schwalbe G-One Speed in 30mm - either a bit stiff at around 67-72 or a bit wallowy under significant cornering at about 5psi less. Dunno how similar they were in construction to the Pro One, but it seemed as if they had a vanishingly small performance window for me.

Take the tiny bike chat over here:

What 650b disc rim has a narrow enough inner dimension to play nice with a 25mm tire? Most I know are pretty wide?

What’s the go to cyclocross tubeless tire brand for actual cyclocross? He already has tubular, just has a set of wheels for any rapidly changing conditions so one set would be nice to have ready without the expense of too many sets of tubulars.

The Canyons come with a DT E1800 wheelset.