Souplesse Casings and Bike Soup - The Tire Thread

@cousinmosquito i’m interested in hearing about how the homages ride, whenever you get a chance with em

1 Like

I know this isnt exactly interesting or big news in the tire world but I’ve been riding the stoemper with tubeless 42 gravelkings for a month or so now. Today I hopped on my track bike to get to work. Man, 100psi Gators are so fucking uncomfortable in comparison.

3 Likes

Exact same for me, same tires, same rims. Would love to run them down at 30, but too squirmy in the turns.

i weigh about 150 so 30 in 48s is “road racing” pressure, the absolute high end.

i wanna be low 20s.but it got fucky with horizons. my old megaturd soma grando blue 42s felt great at 20!

200 lbs here. Last pressure experiment was 33/30 f/r loaded for commuting (Ozette for food/tool/etc, and two small Ortlieb panniers for clothes/shoes) and that seemed better.

I was bombing down a dirt road in Eden, VT. Two big dogs appear in the road, German Shepard and Pitbull. I can’t hit or avoid them, so I stop. Pitbull takes a big bite of my front wheel, BANG!, gets a mouthful of orange seal. Both dogs immediately run off and their person comes out to see if I’m okay (which I was, they didn’t touch me). Booted the tire and got on my way. Pitdog’s name is Spike and was quite sweet afterwards.
Teeth marks in my rim (puncture not pictured, probably underside):

6 Likes

Holy crap! I’ve been chased by many a farm dog but that’s crazy! I was hoping that it wasn’t something boring like a mischievous puppy.

Will do. I was tempted last night, but was also keen to test the Antelope Hills which I hadn’t taken properly off-road yet. Got 6 hours on them in very varied conditions. Might do an off-road commute on the Homages on Monday morning. The casings look pretty robust compared to my Michelins so I’m not expecting any amount of suppleness. @spaghetti

1 Like

if it sank its teeth in hard enough, it would turn the tire/brake bridge into a totall brutal dog sausage extruder.

1 Like

Hmmm

1 Like

I mean when weren’t they?

1 Like

And as a counterpoint: after months of riding nothing but various 650b machines I took my midlifecrisismobile and its Nomad 28s out for a shopping trip. HolyfucktheResistNomad28isanicetire. The whole speedy cloud thing, it is real, and it’s $23/tire where you can still get them.

They always were but I’ve spent the last decade riding them mostly for work where you’re not really looking for supplelyfe. I was so used to them I never really noticed. It’s just a change to get back on them after 6 months off.

Has anyone used slime tubeless? Got a free sample at interbike.

@todd_bonzalez has. It was terrible iirc

does anyone have a good recommendation for a road-specific sealant coagulation helper? Is glitter worth trying?

I had a small cut that wouldn’t seal without my cramming a bacon strip in it, seemed like the size that should be instantly sealable.

Lol.

It sprays out a lot, and is a lot nastier to clean than Stan’s or Orange Seal

Absolute crap. The sealant couldn’t keep a tire inflated for more than a few hours, if that. After a week or two of inflating my tires at literally every ride (morning and evening commutes, mostly), I took the tires off and dumped the sealant in the garbage. I wouldn’t recommend that stuff to my enemies.

I’m glad I got it for free.