Souplesse Casings and Bike Soup - The Tire Thread

Have we already covered what’s good in the 26" sizeway?

I feel like Tioga Powerblocks were made with 120tpi casings at some point but maybe I’m wrong. What other ~2" slicks not made by Compass are worth considering?

The Maxxis DTH too.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting about those.

I’m getting a feeling that the good 26" street tires are all DJ/big BMX stuff at this point.

or Schwalbe Big Apple / Ben / Other

1 Like

Billy Bonkers has a lot of fans but everything seems to lean towards the overbuilt side these days

1 Like

These are good, but pretty brick-like. DTH is nice. I think Kenda K-Rad or something.

2 Likes

For commuting (on a 406/559 wheelset) I just want my bike to get me to work or to my kid’s school, I don’t mind if the bike feels sluggish.

For zooming around the backroads of central virginia, I definitely care more about ride quality.

I like the DTH, Big Apples too (even more) if you don’t mind a wire bead.

Edit: that’s based on 20" Big Apples, was pretty happy with those.

Stan’s NoTires ™

I knew a guy in state college who commuted on a bike with no tires for a couple months. It started as a joke and he just kept doing it!

2 Likes

college bike racks are the wildest and most lawless bike zone. a professor’s nice All-City commuter next to a department store mtb that’s been locked there since 2007 next to a bike with the fork on sideways

7 Likes

My wheel with a runny ürse tire on it is leaking at the shitty supacz valve stem. Dare I remove the tire to retape and install a non trash valve stem?

Try pulling the valve core and cleaning it first? Or have you already bubble tested and confirmed the leak is at the rim?

What happens when tire milk gets stuck INSIDE the rim?

1 Like

If you have brass nipples, then you’ll have some sweet beausausage under the tape.

1 Like

Valve is clear. I sprayed windex and there were some bubbles there. Then I tugged on the valve and the bubbles stopped and it held air for a few hours but lost it overnight. I aired it up in the morning and could hear it leaking from the stem but I tugged on it again and it stopped and I rode to work just fine. It was still aired up a few hours later when I rode to a building and went in. Came out 15 minutes later and the thing was dead flat. I pumped it enough with my hand pump to get to a bike shop where I bought a tube and used their pump. Then I rode from bike shop to bike shop using their pumps and was able to get home without putting the tube in.
It’s been five hours now and it’s still holding about 30psi.

1 Like

i have nightmares about this. there are like 3 bike shops here and i’m not convinced more than 1 is a real shop

After all these tubeless success stories I just can’t wait to get rid of these mostly reliable tubes at the expense of (???) :person_shrugging::person_shrugging::person_shrugging:

1 Like

By success I mean you’re now visiting a bike shop to get a quick roadside repair

1 Like

so these are 20" for my katu-e but…
1.5k miles on kenda k-rads before i started getting flats
1.9k miles on schwalbe kojak before i started getting flats
3.2k miles on schwalbe big ben plus currently. no flats

k-rads were a-ok, kojak was nicer rolling. i think kojak used to be a tarck fav before the resist nomad and tioga powerblock. schwalbe big ben plus has been the most wooden feeling but so far the most reliable.

1 Like

I’ve been quite happy with my Geax Booze Light, which I now see are available again some places as the Vittoria Booze Light.

Vittoria Tattoo Light 26x2.3 might be worth a look. 650g, but it’s wire bead and 120tpi, so perhaps the actual suppleness of sidewall is decent.

1 Like