Souplesse Casings and Bike Soup - The Tire Thread

What should I get that comes in 20" and 26" and is cheap?

Those look the part. I wonder how fast they are. I’d buy and test them, but I can only try so many tires.

Nope:

Same dude on Riding Gravel forum writes:

Anyway, I feel like it’s generally pretty tough to be scientific about tire reviews. Like they “felt” fast, but I’m not sure if they were more or less fast than GravelKing’s or Compass/Rene Herse.

At the very least he didn’t say they were pigs.

Maxxis DTH

3 Likes

is that 650 or 700?

700…

Confusing, I know, but I plan to run both on the same bike. I have a 700c wheelset for mostly pavement and gravel, which around here means dry and flat for the most part. I’ll have another 650b set for under-biking in the hills, which will entail some pavement and some trails that would be more appropriate on an MTB.

1 Like

5 Likes

are you still milking the same tires or did we just end up back here with some freshies

1 Like

weirdly this happens to my tubed panaracers, too

Does that mean they’re ripe?

so-excited-i-love-mess

7 Likes

This is the tire @EndpointBraden sent me. I’ve been riding it for a couple of months. It will not goddamn stay at above 20 psi overnight.

What goo?

I have a set hat I started on panaracer like they suggest and then switched to Stan’s cause I had it and they have been fine for a couple years with topups

The one I got from Braden never wept a tingle drop. I don’t understand how these tires are so inconsistent, it’s maddening because yeah, they do ride real nice.

1 Like

Stan’s.

I’m going to try Orange Seal because I used that with reens for a long time with no issues. Could also be a tanwall vs blackwall thing.

These arrived and went on quickly:

Nothing unexpected compared to the Terreno Dry I had. They’re heavier and thicker through the tread than the Strada Bianca, but given the desire to maybe not get a flat every day, that may be a good thing. I expect they roll well having their graphene compound and being substantially similar to the Terreno Dry, which in my experience was faster than it should’ve been.

They went on with my hands with very little difficulty. I suspect some soap and water would’ve made it downright easy. I didn’t bother much trying to get 'em to seat floor pump. I usually give a couple pumps with a new tire to see, then fire up my compressor, which I did with these. They seated without drama, took some Orange Seal and I’ll see tomorrow how they fare.

Unexpectedly, the grey sidewall matches the bike.

5 Likes

Quick review after the first ride:

Distinctly slower. Not badly, but enough that I’d prefer my road bike if it were dry and I didn’t expect to get off pavement. That was the thing about the Strada Bianca that I liked, they made the gravel bike nearly as fast as my road bike on my daily ride.

To give some context as to why I care: I ride every morning, get up at 0600 change into my kit and ride the same 20 mile flat route every day, which takes me one hour and a few minutes doing it all at z2 which is about as much power as I can manage that early without warming up. A few minutes plus or minus makes a big difference in my day as I have to get home, shed my kit, get a shower, and help get the kid ready for school by 0800.

In any case, I’m wondering if I shouldn’t have gone with less volume for “winter tires” given that I have the new wheelset for off pavement shenanigans. A set of GP5k got me through the winter on my road bike a couple years back and made it to 5000 miles. When I pulled 'em off there was tons of embedded glass, but they never flatted. A 32mm might’ve been nice… There’s also the Corsa N.EXT which might be okay at 35mm. It’s probably worth pointing out that these guys are chunky:

In terms of being supple, they were fine. Not quite as nice as the Strada Bianca, but not as bad as the Schwalbe G-One Speed I tried last year. Wet grip was great in as much as I was able to test it on one ride.

2 Likes

You should ride 9 more times, switch to smaller tires, ride those 10 times and now you have a great data set for your experiment.

3 Likes

Right…

Was staring at my speed sensor today trying to make things less qualitative. It went all wonky and started spewing spurious numbers. Guess I need to replace the battery.

The subjective difference between the tires is the feeling one gets while cruising along at 20mph with plenty of drag from both the air and the tires, when there’s enough drag, it feels like one has to re-accelerate with the power portion of each pedal stroke.

Yeah, these aren’t gonna make it 10 rides. Coulda read more closely:

To our surprise, the Terreno Zero rolls slower than the Terreno Dry (read our review) that we tested a couple of weeks back. The reason behind this is the much thicker tread of the Terreno Zero that we measured at 4.0 mm while the Terreno Dry measured just 2.8 mm thick. The thicker tread also shows in the puncture test as the Zero scores 11 points while the Terreno Dry scored just 8 points.

1 Like