SS cross bike

So I’ve basically decided I’m ready for the Bareknuckle to go, and I want to replace it with something a little more winter appropriate, yet still fixed/ss.
Thinking SS cross bike is where it’s at, so I’m looking for ideas and suggestions.
My idea was:
Front rack for the hauling of fun bits. I have a surly nice rack so this just needs appropriate mounts.
fenders, I dont know I ride in enough real rain to warrant something more than race blades, but if mounts for 3/4 fenders were available I’d be stoked
Large clearance is a given, I figured 25/28’s normally, and then bust out some studded tires for the icy months (which linger voraciously back home)
F/R brakes etc.

So ideas?
I was looking at the casseroll and cross check, just cause they have non-track ends which I kind of like.
Thinking the Karate monkey is another weird but sweet frame
the felt breed looks a little sportier, which I kind of like the idea of, thinking maybe a retrofit of a cool fork with rack mounts could be cool.
Maybe the phantom cross uno plus some serious parts overhaul.

I’d love a steel ride, so if someone knows a really legit steel frame, let me know.
Another option is: can someone point me toward some horizontal drop out, randonnuer style frames? this could be cool, and eventually get a groupset if i get bored of it ss/fixed.

Sounds like you’ve got kinda got it covered.
My roommate has the Motobecane you mentioned and it could be made a solid bike with some serious upgrades but it’s an absolute turd out of the box. Just buy the frameset if it’s available.

My co-worker has a geared KM that he uses for trails and it’s hands down the most awesome rigid 29er I’ve ever seen and ridden. It’s got Avid Ultimate V-brakes and they feel so much better than the shitty mechanical disks on my Rockhopper it’s crazy.

Both have track ends which make fenders a bitch to deal with.

My obvious leaning is toward the Crosscheck because, well, it lives up to the hype.

I was also looking at the travelers cheque.
any thoughts?
Not that I need S&S couplers now, but in the future I hope to do some light touring in the europe and think that may be a good choice. slap on some gears and a rack compatible fork and go to town.

Seems a bit pricey for what it is.
Didn’t somebody do the math and figure out that it’s cheaper to retrofit a crosscheck than to buy the traveler’s check frameset?

[quote=Rusty Piton]Seems a bit pricey for what it is.
Didn’t somebody do the math and figure out that it’s to retrofit a crosscheck than to buy the traveler’s check frameset?[/quote]

this is entirely possible, I hadnt looked at the price tab till now, for that coin i could probably find a handbuilt frame with S&S upgrades (thinking mercian or the like)

or…
thoughts on:

Man, I was looking at the Mercian site yesterday. They do real good work.
You should go that route if you got the scrilla.

[quote=Rusty Piton]Man, I was looking at the Mercian site yesterday. They do real good work.
You should go that route if you got the scrilla.[/quote]

yeah, the whole situation is very cash dependent, it might mean i would have to wait a bit longer, and really I want a bike I’m not afraid to ride in ANYTHING which has me cringeing at the thought of buying a handbuilt lugged steel ride for the use you know?

[quote=frankstoneline][quote=Rusty Piton]Man, I was looking at the Mercian site yesterday. They do real good work.
You should go that route if you got the scrilla.[/quote]

yeah, the whole situation is very cash dependent, it might mean i would have to wait a bit longer, and really I want a bike I’m not afraid to ride in ANYTHING which has me cringeing at the thought of buying a handbuilt lugged steel ride for the use you know?[/quote]
I heard that, dude!
I’m gonna be riding this frame:

this winter.
The winter bike is all about beater.

yeah, winter is about beater but I sort of secretly hope fall will be about some cross races XD

Check out Soma’s Double Cross. I had a similar dilemma as you and went this route. I opted for the DC with disk tabs. Diggin the hell out of it.

He wants to run it fixed though and the DC has vertical drops, no?

What about the Masi Special Commuter? Only issue is road brakes vs cantis but it has room for larger tires and mudguards etc.

You’re right, Rudy.

I guess I kind of got ahead of myself. I was thinking of building up an ENO hub for fixed riding this winter. I wanted a do-all bike and this was my solution to that problem.

ooooh, looking into.

You’re right, Rudy.

I guess I kind of got ahead of myself. I was thinking of building up an ENO hub for fixed riding this winter. I wanted a do-all bike and this was my solution to that problem.[/quote]
That’s is a good solution.
I kinda wish i could justify dropping the dough on an ENO hub to lace to the 26" Delgado rim that’s going on that sillyass Cro-mega bike but that would just be absurd. the rear hub would cost more than the rest of the bike combined.
But if you laced it to an Open Pro it would be sick as fuck on your double cross.
You should do it.

http://bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/kilott_wt.htm

Hmmmm, to those cross dudes out there, am I going to have issues with caliper brakes that make canti’s far superior?

Mud/snow clearance will be a bummer. Don’t know how much of either you’re gonna get out there, but yeah.

the site seems broken but i saw a pic of someone doing CX on a V1 Scrambler