SS cross bike

I have no problem with mud/snow clearance on this thing:

It now has the fenders removed and fatter cross tires on it for the same purposes you described. It also costed me almost nothing.

[quote=Elderberry]I have no problem with mud/snow clearance on this thing:

It now has the fenders removed and fatter cross tires on it for the same purposes you described. It also costed me almost nothing.[/quote]

i like this.

Thanks. Just one of the steeds in my growing stable of repurposed old Schwinns. Will post pics of it in tough guy cross mode on the morrow if I get the chance.

that would be sweet, maybe i’ll retrofit my current touring rig?
I dunno, I’m trying to cut my stable down, this might just increase it haha.

does bianchi still do the san jose? i know i want one.

I think so, but they seemed a little pricey last I looked unless I can find a used one.

I think so, but they seemed a little pricey last I looked unless I can find a used one.[/quote]

yeah, i just checked their site - the build sucks too. fwiw the san jose frame is much lighter than a crosscheck. it’d be nice to find just the frame/set.

I think so, but they seemed a little pricey last I looked unless I can find a used one.[/quote]

yeah, i just checked their site - the build sucks too. fwiw the san jose frame is much lighter than a crosscheck. it’d be nice to find just the frame/set.[/quote]

you could probably buy the bike and then part it out to make up some of the damages, but then the frame would probably cost as much as a cross check frame, and you would have dealt with a shitload more hassle.

Also no gears ever.

truth.
I wonder what I could fetch for my BK

false coz internal hub

Blah blah blah

San Jose has horizontal dropouts, fender hell.

this is my main concern

how about a raleigh one way, comes 120 spaced. fits wide tires. cantilever brakes.

I think all winter bikes should either be Cross-Checks or else old steel sport-touring frames, either converted or run geared. Plenty of room and braze-ons for racks and full fenders, clearance for wide tires, with comfortable, stable and predictable geometry, and the option to run fixed or geared. And if it’s not a Cross-Check, it should cost you less than $100 so you’ll never be worrying about damaging your precious snowflake of a bike.

perfectly said.
Anybody have an old steel frame for me?

[quote=frankstoneline]
Anybody have an old steel frame for me?[/quote]
I have an old Schwinn Le Tour with a slightly bent TT that you can have fo freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

it’d prolly be to small for him.
also track dropouts and fenders isn’t terrible.