Steel road bikes

I’m with BSNYC. WTF if the point of bullhorns on a road bike? With drops and hoods you have the same positions + drops. Bullhorns are great on a bike sans brake hoods so you can emulate the whole riding on the hoods position.

well

they distance your bike from the roadie scene

?

It doesn’t really all that much on a city bike anyways. As I said in the other thread, I’m going to switch over to drop bars on mine.

i run bullhorns on both my road bikes. Cuz:

I never ride in the drops
I like the leverage bullhorns provide for climbing, of which I do much

[quote=“kowloon”]
i run bullhorns on both my road bikes. Cuz:

I never ride in the drops
I like the leverage bullhorns provide for climbing, of which I do much[/quote]

Hoods give you the same exact leverage points.

I’d gather you don’t ride in windy enough areas or hit 40+ MPH much either.

Nope.

Nope.[/quote]

How the fuck do you get under the wind? Sans trying to sound too much like a jackass, but it sounds like you are making things a lot harder for you then they should be. Drops get you tucked and away and turn your body from being a sail into a bullet.

Nope.[/quote]

How the fuck do you get under the wind? Sans trying to sound too much like a jackass, but it sounds like you are making things a lot harder for you then they should be. Drops get you tucked and away and turn your body from being a sail into a bullet.[/quote]
Ehh, it just isn’t that big a deal to me. I’m not contending with any ridiculous headwinds, and if they do come up, I can do a pseudo-aero position with bullhorns.

I might revisit road drops; I haven’t ridden any of the newer, ergo ones, just the old skull ones.

i really like the look of tarck’d out roadies.

yes steel road bikes are the new tarck.

They’re just the thing on a frame that’s too small for you, where drops would be way too low for comfort. Of course, you could always get a bigger frame or use a Technomic but some frames are hard to part with and Technomics are fugly on anything but a touring rig.

http://wheelsmfg.com/index.php?option=c ... &Itemid=27

or this:

http://www.dmrbikes.com/?Section=produc ... mid=FPCTMH

Pick one. No welding required.

Fuck headwinds, I spent some time in the drops this morning. I hate riding in the drops. Kowloon, if we are the same person, I need to get my MPD checked out.

Nope.[/quote]

How the fuck do you get under the wind? Sans trying to sound too much like a jackass, but it sounds like you are making things a lot harder for you then they should be. Drops get you tucked and away and turn your body from being a sail into a bullet.[/quote]

Well, the aero position on bullhorns isn’t too bad, honestly. You get more control with drops though.

just throw some aero bars on it and you’ll be set. although it will look like a tri bike.

aerobars are a lot of fun.

Does anyone make plain ol’ steel road frames with horizontal dropouts anymore? Everything is either “track” or alu/carbon road frames with vertical dropouts. As far as I know, Surly is the only company with steel framesets with horizontal dropout. I can’t be right, can I?

Salsa Casseroll

There are several I’ve seen before, I’m trying to remember them.

sachs.

lol.

steel road bikes are cool.
i’ve got two. i’ve had many more in the last few years. i was a bike whore for a while. now i’m happily going steady with three bikes.

soma has several steel frames with vert drop outs.

Also, bikes direct has a 853 bike that i am thinking about getting

I want a 56 rob roy now that they don’t exist. Or a cheap fuckin’ crosscheck. Where is my BD xcheck knockoff?

[quote=“edw”]soma has several steel frames with vert drop outs.

Also, bikes direct has a 853 bike that i am thinking about getting[/quote]

The Serpens? Looks pretty cool. 853 + 6600 groupset for $1300? If i was gonna spend that kinda scratch, that would be in serious contention.