Steel road bikes

yeah i am looking for a competition worthy road bike (want to start sanctioned racing in the spring) and was thinking about building up one but its not easy to get near $1300.

You should have no problem finding a 9-speed steel road bike for less than $1000 on eBay. I watch these auctions all the time, because I love steel bikes, even if I don’t buy them, and they routinely sell for a fraction of their original cost. Check out something like the Gunnar Roadie - totally competition worthy (my sole road racing bike) and routinely available cheap online.

^ Yeah. It seems like 9 speed shit will be supported for a good while. There’s a lot of it out there.

I just finally got around to rebuilding the rear wheel on my Davidson. I had almost forgotten how much this bike rules. I wish I could cram some fenders onto it. Then it would be perfect.

steel road bikes are sweet. track bikes are still awesome too though. mine: (both look a lil’ different now)

OK I’m getting super impatient. My Gios is on it’s way from the UK and it needs to be here now with me.

Did you win the white Gios that was on eBay last week? That bike was so fucking sweet.

Wow. That thing is awesome, I just looked it up.

Anyway, I got a purple one from UK last week. It’s an '88 40th Anniversary with a Veloce/Chorus mix.

http://purplestuff.ytmnd.com/

[quote=“delicious”]steel road bikes are sweet. track bikes are still awesome too though. mine: (both look a lil’ different now)

[/quote]

That’s a nice pair of bikes!

cant wait to build up the shark.
Though, tandem is first then as funds permit the shark will get a group.

I’ve been hankering for a lightweight road machine that will allow me to set my crosscheck up for rougher stuff. My plan is to find a nice, but not overly classic or valuable old British 531 frame that can take big tires and fenders with caliper brakes; then cold set the rear triangle to run my 9 speed ultegra/ mavic ma2 wheelset; then ride the living shit out of it. I’m stoked, and have been watching ebay over here in the uk for deals. I’ve seen beat up framesets + bb + seatpost+ bars + stems go for under £40.

I rode a buddy’s Litespeed around the block last week – that was a bizarre and life-changing experience.

Damn, dude on the local fixed forum just posted a 54cm 712 for $300 OBO… arrrgh.

I’ve been thinking about turning my conversion into a 1x9 with (gasp) flat bars and some 700x32 tires of some sort. I never use it anymore and I’m looking for a winter project.

[/quote]

headtube

You know, I finally saw/held one of those in real life. Total garbage.

thanks

the bianchi is a new acquisition and has full fender mounts :sunglasses:

Seems like a cool idea for a winter project to me, 'specially if you’re not into the conversion much anymore.

[quote=“delicious”]steel road bikes are sweet. track bikes are still awesome too though. mine: (both look a lil’ different now)

[/quote]

This picture gives me vertigo.