Suggest to me a real badass front light.

[quote=halbritt]Check this out:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=192740

It shows the SSC P7 emitter operating at 2.7A of current which should be roughly comparable to the magicshine light at 2.4A as it also has an SSC P7 emitter. T

That kit as $80 is a crazy deal for a light as bright as most car headlights.[/quote]

I just ordered that SSC P7 for my helmet and a Magicshine for my handlebars… nighttime mtb here I come :slight_smile:

[quote=solbrothers]The MagicShine 900.

[/quote]

this one

What kind of attachment do you have set up to get that flashlight onto your helmet? I’d love that.

I have a Light and Motion Vega, and it sucks. Don’t buy one unless you like a light that falls off of your handlebars all the time. They completely changed the design for 2009, but I’m so pissed that the original ever existed that I don’t think I’d buy another product of theirs again.

I came to say this. Fuck batteries and the maintenance that goes with them.

The new LED generator lights seem to blow the old halogen lights out of the water so I’ll be switching that up soon but other than that I love my generator setup.

Wow, you’ve gone full circle on that product. I have 8 months of daily use with my Light & Motion Vega (the old one - like yours) and it hasn’t fallen once. That said, I’m not a fan of the clamping mechanism at all. Mine is still really stiff and annoying to take off, which is something I have to do every day - hurt my fingers a couple of times. I’m reasonably happy with it though and appreciate its compactness and how easy it is to move from one bike to another.

If I had my time again, however, I’d probably go for an Ayup system instead. Or that Magicshine, which looks pretty damn awesome for the price.

i love my minewt usb.
plenty of power.

[quote=wotan]Wow, you’ve gone full circle on that product. I have 8 months of daily use with my Light & Motion Vega (the old one - like yours) and it hasn’t fallen once. That said, I’m not a fan of the clamping mechanism at all. Mine is still really stiff and annoying to take off, which is something I have to do every day - hurt my fingers a couple of times. I’m reasonably happy with it though and appreciate its compactness and how easy it is to move from one bike to another.

If I had my time again, however, I’d probably go for an Ayup system instead.[/quote]

I was never fully smitten with it, but it does the job decently well when it’s not falling off the bars. If I had it to do over again, I would get a light with an external battery. I understand that the main selling point of the Vega is that its battery is internal, and I thought that mattered to me more than it turned out to. After riding with some guys using serious honking lights with external batteries, and seeing how well they light up the road, and how they allow you to actually see what’s happening out there, I regretted my purchase a little more. I didn’t end up moving it from bike to bike, it stayed on my Cross-Check all winter long. Anyway, I’m just blabbering.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12000

just out of curiosity, rudy… where are you going that you would need a light like this? the only place i can think of is between north and fullerton on the lakefront.
good thread though. i might leave the city for a couple of years and am pretty terrified by how poorly lit some towns can be, i’ll probably pick up something mentioned here.

heh helmet light makes me think of:

The new LED generator lights seem to blow the old halogen lights out of the water so I’ll be switching that up soon but other than that I love my generator setup.[/quote]
Damnit I should have thought about this before I built wheels.
:frowning:

Ian, I was thinking about the north end of the lakefront.

didn’t you build delgados?
http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=details&PageID=30&SKU=WE9718

Yes you bastard.

that was on chainlove for 55. i snagged one. it’s coming monday, will update with review.

hahaha!

The new LED generator lights seem to blow the old halogen lights out of the water so I’ll be switching that up soon but other than that I love my generator setup.[/quote]
which LED lights are people hollerin’ are good?

I see the Shimano light on ebay for $30 and wonder if it’s any good.

I’m pretty sure that the main lighting element of that light is a bulb and it has a blinkie LED.

http://www.dinottelighting.com/

these are some badass lights, but kinda spendy. i borrowed the 800 lumen one from my friend last night and it was amazing.

hahaha!

which LED lights are people hollerin’ are good?

I see the Shimano light on ebay for $30 and wonder if it’s any good.[/quote]

I bet it’d be all right. There are B+M halogens available for that price. When you get a more expensive light, you’re basically paying for better reflectors that focus the light where it’s needed; the cheaper ones just throw light everywhere. When I was shopping for generator lights the IQ Cyo looked like the sweet spot for performance vs price but things seem to be changing rather quickly.

So what light u end up getting?