Sugino Messenger warning

Just a little warning for those of you who pay attention to these types of things. I’ve been riding a Sugino crankset/ring for about 500 miles. I noticed the chain tension was uneven, I could see the chain going up and down, indicating it was tighter during that part of the rotation, so I decided to adjust it following Sheldon Brown’s page on adjusting the tension-
“Set the rear axle so that the chain pulls taut at the tightest part of the cranks’ rotation. One at a time, loosen up each of the stack bolts, and tighten it back just finger tight. Spin the crank slowly and watch for the chain to get to its tightest point. Strike the taut chain lightly with a convenient tool to make the chain ring move a bit on its spider. Then rotate the crank some more, finding the new tightest spot, and repeat as necessary.”

The first step was to loosen up the chain ring bolts. I discovered they came from the factory with no grease at all. Nothing, dry as a bone. So any fellow owners of Messenger cranksets, you might want to check this out, unless you need an excuse to get new cranks once the ring needs replacing.

good story

refund pls. I want my 30 seconds back

i doubt it’s that big of a deal.
so there isn’t any grease on them. they they are stainless bolts will they rust?

you can always drill them out.

I never grease mine.

Mine came greased. But I bought them as RD2s, not Messengers.

[quote="(|)"]i doubt it’s that big of a deal.
so there isn’t any grease on them. they they are stainless bolts will they rust?

you can always drill them out.[/quote]

Very true. My post was only a warning for those who want to go through all the hassle of greasing them versus simply drilling them out later. Seriously, they look like stainless bolts, and maybe they wouldn’t rust. I just passed this on for those who might care.
I think mine were RD cranks. It’s possible they didn’t come assembled from the factory, but were just a shop-made combo from Ben’s Cycle.

the moral of this story: always grease new-out-of-the-box parts the first time you install them.

Maybe that should be in the Newjack thread?

you can buy them already assembled?

guess i should take mine apart sometime.

+1 and it goes for ANYTHING you buy from anyone else too, especially used shops coughbicycle recyclecough

oh crap, thanks for the warning that if you dont put grease on your bolts then there wont be any grease on your bolts.

we are all forever deeply in your debt.

-j

Innertube warning.

I just bought a brand new set of innertubes for my bike off of Nashbar. I got them, installed them, and went out for a ride. Something felt funny, so I pulled over. Turns out that neither one of the tubes had any air in them at all. I checked for punctures and I couldn’t find a single hole in either one. Apparently Nashbar is sending these tubes without any air. So keep an eye out when you install your Nashbar tubes guys.

[quote=“crushkilldestroy”]Innertube warning.

I just bought a brand new set of innertubes for my bike off of Nashbar. I got them, installed them, and went out for a ride. Something felt funny, so I pulled over. Turns out that neither one of the tubes had any air in them at all. I checked for punctures and I couldn’t find a single hole in either one. Apparently Nashbar is sending these tubes without any air. So keep an eye out when you install your Nashbar tubes guys.[/quote]

I think it’s to save on shipping, cheapskates.

I’ve always kept that in mind with items like hubs, and headsets-at least disassemble them to make sure they have grease. I know I will probably take more time and care in applying grease and adjusting a hub than a factory worker or robot.

anything with threads needs to be greased. and not just the stuff that’s actually on your bike; i learned that the hard way trying to pull some old cleats off my sidi’s.

i thought this was going to be about some exploding s or maybe a chainring shearing off and slicing someones throat. but no, its just another tarckster wanting to get his post count up.

I would love to see a horrid chainring related throat-slitting accident.
That’d be a story to tell the grandkids.