Sup stole my bike and I need a new one

So I picked up a bianchi a few years ago, and seeing that it worked perfectly fine I decided to fix it. Updated from DT shifters, new breaks etc etc, hplusson wheels.

Then I got a lady friend that is only slightly shorter than me and fell in love with my bike…also me.
I have begrudgingly decided to let her “have it” and that I need to build up my own because everyday is not a swheet fixay day.

Buying a whole bike makes sense but building from scratch seems less practical so I’m leaning that direction.

My stupid question is should I look into old “crack and fail” or equivalent frames or check out some of the unbranded options? Leaning towards a aluminum frame with crabon fork but would be open to a decent steel frame with carbon fork. Mainly wanting something a little more modern so I can ride faster than her.

3 Likes

Ebay has sooooo many old steel road bikes for pretty cheap right now.
It’s like they’re out of style or something.

But maybe I should have read your whole post where you talked about wanting a more modern bike before responding.

np I don’t mind the old steel bikes at all, I just want to use all the newer stuff and have a better fork situation. If there is a balance to be found there I’m all for it

Old steel frame and modern group from Europe is what I would do for a whole new build.

3 Likes

Something like this would be cool

Ditto.
Steel sport-touring frames are where it’s at. Nice ones can be had cheap, they fit big tires, probably get some eyelets for racks/fenders. My Davidson came together very cheaply and it’s a joy to ride.

1 Like

Dude @ant post your desired measurements and we’ll take care of finding you some way to set your wallet on fire

I’m 5’11
Pretty sure a 56cm would be ideal
I think I’d like to have something that is a balance between speed and function. A nice quick bike with a little thicker tires for gravel if need be.

Let me know if that all sounds dumb

Piggybacking to say I could use a 54 in a similar situation

what’s your budgets?

Any it sounds like you want a disc roadie. Like whatever Rusty’s orange bike is.

I am no hurry to get the build done but I’m trying to keep it low as possible and maintain quality. Basically I need a good base that I can build on over time.

If I could build something decent for around 600-700 I’d be happy

That’d be awesome

So we’re looking for a sw8 fat tire road in 56

1 Like

something like this

If I could get a decent frame that could clear 32s (and fenders if there is a god) out the door for <$200 I’d be happy as a clam.

I know this isn’t about me, but my Sequoia sucks and I need a good drop bar bike for spirited riding.

If you could find the parts w/o breaking the bank, that’s a good place for a 650b conversion; The Hutchinson Confrerie is a nice tire, and it easily[*] fits under a 700c frame that would have trouble fitting a 700x28c tire.

[* “Easily” meaning I’ve fitted it under a couple of mid-late '90s Treks]

1 Like

I have done extensive research in this area.

Finding all the bells+whistles can be tricky. My own list used to be:

1. Nice steel.
  2. Fits 700x32s with fenders.
  3. Rack and fender bosses.
  4. Two sets of bottle bosses.
  5. Typical BSA threading on BB and HS.

In my experience if you are ok with only one bottle cage, and/or can live with smaller tires or 650b that makes the search much easier.

Trek 514, 510, 610, 630 etc. are ones to look for. Trek catalogs are all online with the specs, note which models originally came with 27" wheels they are usually good for 32s + fenders. But you’ll usually only get one set of bottle bosses (and possibly need clamp-on housing stop for the down tube). That said, old Treks almost universally use 27.2 seatposts, plus normal BB and headset threading means parts are easy to find.

Example:

1 Like

A fair bit of ‘patina’ but looks solid:

https://sellwoodcycle.com/collections/used-frames/products/56cm-trek-cirrus-frame

56cm Trek Cirrus Frame

$150.00

Details

• Item Condition: Used
  • Make: Trek
  • Model: Cirrus Frame
  • Size: 56cm Square
  • Frame Material: Reynolds 531
  • Wheels: for 700c
  • Drivetrain: Spaced 100/130
  • Extras: headset
1 Like