Sup stole my bike and I need a new one

PS 32s and fenders on an old 27" wheeled bike usually takes eom time to set up. If you hate setting up fenders and getting a good fenderline, maybe go with 28s instead.

Another bike to look for is a certain year of Schwinn Prelude. IIRC it would have satisfied every one of my listed characterstics, but I never found one to confirm.

I used to be all about that 531 steel lyfe. But I’m a big guy and honestly 501 works fine, as does Tange #2, Columbus Tenax, etc.

1983 Trek 500, Kojak 32s with NJS-clearance fenders.

1984 Trek 510. Pictured tires are 36s, but I test fit 32s + fenders and would work fine.

…and while we’re on the subject:
1984 Trek 720. Looong chainstays, annoying 27"-to-700c canti boss location issues. Still a cadillac to ride and a nice bike. 32s + fenders obvs.

'Sups 1987 Trek Elance 400 converted to 650bx42 + fenders.

One more, because I finally decided to build just a go-fast bike. No fender eyelets, clears 25c only. But fun as hell.

4 Likes

1987 Schwinn tempo, premis, prelude, prologue and circuit would probably do it

1 Like

87-88 Schwinn circuit comes in half paint half chrome so if you like rim brakes get that one it looks sweet

Triple post
87-88 was when many companies were switching from 27” to 700c so be careful. Most high end Bikes (paramounts) were 700c by that time

HY ORC IS BACK

1 Like

Did Miyata ever use Tange Ultimate? What should I look out for in 80’s 90’s steel noodle frames?

Columbus SL/SLX are fantastic in 56/57s

Ant, I may have a line on an older Trek, maybe late seventies, that you could have for shipping. It was abandoned at one of the buildings I manage and I found it today in a pile of junk bikes in the basement. I’ll try to remember to take a tape to it tomorrow, but it looked like a 56 or 57 to me.

Also, I have an 88 Schwinn Tempo I’d happily part with.
Fits 32s but no no fender mounts. Very ugly Italian flag paint scheme.

I’ve got a late 80s/early 90s Specialized Allez, pretty sure it’s a 57. Pearl white, no decals. It’s set up 650A at the moment with the long reach Tektros.

531c or 531cs. Tange #1 or #0

I always thought they were just common steel junk, but it turns out lots of Centurion “Iron Man” frames were Tange #1.

My old 1984 Trek 760 (not pictured above) was 531c and planed like, um, a plane. It was a sweet riding frame, and I really could stay on top of larger gear and not get bogged down when climbing certain hills. It did also ghost-shift on really steep/slow standing climbs, but I had downtube shifters and am a man of substance.

Yes hit me up I’d be interested

Don’t want to incumber yourself with turdly buttways.

Ohhhhh! If BikeWorks ships…

i noticed this too and was like…how is no one else mentioning this

something I see local, but not really looking for a whole bike I guess
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/bik/d/1983-trek-640-sport-bike/6673765810.html

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/bik/d/1999-schwinn-passage-road-bike/6685641799.html

https://columbusga.craigslist.org/bik/d/road-bike/6682834788.html

I’ve got a late 80s Trek 510 for my partner with 30c tires and fenders. Without fenders, it would fit 32s easily.

Unffff. That 640 is PERFECT. I had been looking for one of those for eons during the time I owned all the above bikes. Look at those brake pads down at the bottom of the slots, a good sign for fitting bigger rubber. Look at that paint and those old logos.

I was looking for a frame only too. Kinda tough to drop all that on a complete. But hear me out: Buy it, ride it as-is. you might be surprised how well it goes down the road. Especially with a nice set of tires and some new brake pads.

This is the found Trek. It’s beat up but usable.

Looks at least 58?