Superflash/Blaze GB interest

Not necessarily. He has a 25mi+ one-way ride and lives in the suburbs, so much of it is without any street or building lights. He’s also a track racer, and he says he likes to ride at 30mph+ when the roads are clear during his commute. Apparently the lights he has allow him to do that without outrunning them, without missing shit on the roads (i.e. busting his ass on a pothole), and without risking being hit by cars.

If he has the money and has a place to keep his bike during the work day, I don’t think there’s anything ‘stupid’ about it. Unless, of course, he could have gotten lights that work exactly the same but for a lot less. Which I doubt is really possible.

To be honest, though, I don’t even know of lights that cost near that much, let alone what kind of combination he has to get him up near the 3K mark.

His bike must look like the vegas Strip!

will check out

25 miles at 30+ MPH? Must be a strong rider.

Yeah. I definitely meant that he rides the whole thing at 30mph.

I’m gonna bet that the 3k worth of lights story is either a fabrication or maybe the amount he’s spent on lights in total.

Saw a blaze tonight for the first time.
Was not impressed.
It was $55 for the combo.
Unless we can get a gb for around $20 count me out.
I already have a superflash stealth, and my $10 headlight from performance does the same job as that blaze.

I think my superflash has about had it. I have to open it up to turn it on and off. Can we just do a superflash groupbuy. I’d buy at least 2.

He says “I look sort of like a runway at O’Hare.”

I misremembered. I found the thread on Chifg where he talks about it, and apparently it’s ‘only’ 2K. Which is substantiated by the price of the lights he says he uses:

A Lupine Betty on his helmet, which is a $1000 light right now (likely more when he bought it)
A Lupine Wilma (which is a ~$700 light now (again, was likely higher in the past)) on his bars
The Dinotte on the rear, for $160

Even if he didn’t pay retail for all of it (I hope he didn’t), it still is nearly $2,000 worth of lights.

This place sells them for lower than the QBP price. Buy 13 lights and you get free shipping.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Smart_1~2_Watt_3_LED_Rear_Light/5360026001/

Riding where there are no street lights makes your light more visible to cars. Cars usually give me more space and slow down more.

If we do just a superflash GB I’m down for at least a few.

[quote=“thehappyrobot”]How bought a headlight gb?
Like a minewt or sol from niterider?
I’d love a headlight that helped me see instead of be seen.[/quote]

This.

Frank, I don’t think people on here are familiar with the niterider products, or else we’d already had a gb on them.
In case no one knows:
The niterider sol and minewt (as well as other niterider products) are like a single lexus headlight mounted to your bike.
I believe that the sol is around 100 lumens and the minewt is around 160 or so. They are rechargeable, so you never have to buy batteries. Just plug them into the wall or usb port, let em charge for 3-4 hours and you have 4 hours of hid lighting. They’re amazing.

i like those lights but the batteries, fuck thats expensive

Wut?

I’m down for niterider products. My dad had some and they were pretty nice. It would be awesome if we could get a significant price drop.

i have a nightrider red blinky and never thought of it as anything special at all… but maybe their headlights are a lot better

I think i might be interested in a “serious” (i.e. for seeing) front light or dynohub group buy, for distance riding. A runtime of more than 4 hours would be nice but I’ll see what people are interested in.

[quote=“kowloon”]in + princeton. even the 1w Blaze isn’t super-bright.

also, fuck a knog.[/quote]

agreed on all accounts.

i’m in