TAF, JA, or just WTH?

They tried way too hard to tick all the boxes.

that bike sucks

you just need to look at the photo of the whole thing to know it sucks

It is an incredibly not pretty bicycle.

"Like a Land Rover Defender, the Beyond is tough and dependable and willing to go anywhere "

I make it worse

Someone at work has this BMC commuter, and I mostly don’t get it. It’s like a worse version of the Breezer Finesse that was going for 600 bucks awhile back. But this thing is fat cash and no dyno. The quick mount fenders seem a little cool, bUT in person seem to have iffy coverage. Whole bike seems like designerbro fapping.

Shit, also at work the rack routinely has TWO Trek Crossrip Plus eAssist road bikes. $4500 for a commuter, and it’s not even a used Honda Goldwing?

That’s BMI is cool looking. But looks like it rides like butt.

I know two people who’ve gotten e-bikes on-loan from work, for commuting purposes. Then they’ll get a discount if they buy something after the try out time is up.

That BMC bike is perfect for a very specific kind of guy. We all know a version of that guy. And it is a guy.

That BMC is like the sweet Canyon commuter but not half as cool.

A bunch of bikes have been coming like this, always as forks. My assumption is that certain manufacturers like Cannondale, before flat mount was introduced, built a shitload of forks with IS or post mount for use of future models (which usually involves little more than changing the paint), and are now forced to sell through them or else eat the cost of 10,000 obsolete forks.

My guess would be most manufacturers like Cannondale are more using JIT processes, unless they have assurances from Shimano that they will stick to a standard for more than the next 6 months. And maybe even still. I doubt Specialized gets caught eating costs on stuff like that. They pass that cost on to the factory, who may or may not have gambled on making extra to cut per-unit costs, and then the factory gets boned when Brand S doesn’t order any more after the initial run.
Or they sell the overproduction on the grey market to 2nd tier brands, and it shows up as the fork on a Bombtrack or whatever.

The gorilla monsoon rides like a fucking LHT - they really went overboard with the heavy tubing on that thing.

But their press shots have Hayes cx brakes so they must read tack lol.

Why didn’t the owner of this build just go for flat bars or Rohbox with sram shakes? Someone explain the mysteries of Rohloff to me :male_detective:

Rohloff is for German cycle tourists who want the ultimate expedition grade IGH gearing range mounted to a bike that weighs 20 kilos with 559erd wheels and 38mm Schwalbe tires pumped up to the max (based on a data table from Fahrradtourenundtestenundschnitzelmagasin), so they can mount 40 kilos of ortleib expedition grade panniers loaded with gear (that almost but not quite matches what someone who has gone on a tour before would bring) on a rear rack and go ride 20 kilometers to the nearest nudist campsite, where they’ll eat vegetarian sausages and drink NA beer because they’re on a health kick. This will be documented 100% in German on Instagram or Facebook.

I may or may not be stereotyping, but you definitely don’t want a Rohloff.

5 Likes

I need to see evidence of this claim.

Rohloffs serve the same purpose as fat bikes ridden strictly on pavement, they want people to ask them about theirs bikes.

my only real problem with Rohloffs is they cost more than the entire bike - I think you can pick them up used for $1200 occasionally.