Talk me out of buying this...

Brand new from a shop for $625? Shit, might as well.

1 Like

purchased. let project couchbike begin.

9 Likes

Yeah it’s just a straight 7/8" tube, much easier to make. It was/is the standard for motorcycles and Schwinns and bmx and such since way back in the day.

1 Like

My buddies Mark and Hana are sponsored Otso riders. They are just back on the trail. Argentina: Mendoza – El Sosneado via the Ruta 40 Vieja – Highlux Photography

Giant TCX SLR SS
Been wanting one since I raced more frequently. Got a set of single speed i9 wheels that haven’t seen much use in years, and current wheels on Felt Breed are disc and able to fit. Only about 200 made, I think. Of course orange one would be better, but ya know.

Asking 875 up in Erie. Could probably get closer to 800 and hope felt sale covers most of it eventually.

3 Likes

$875 seems like a pretty reasonable ask.

What size is the breed?

Yeah, I mean, I think retail on frames was 1200 or 1300.
Felt Breed is a 57
This is it with the hope/wtb wheelset (er, that was the short-lived tubular setup as the racing ralphs were hella fragile; straight swapped with the wtb ChrissCross).

Ha, I offered 825 and said he could keep the pedals. He countered with 800 since i was driving a few hours to snag it. Okay.

10 Likes

Brother made a deal with a guy for nephew’s bike about 150 miles away. Seller named a place to meet about 30 miles from bros house. When they got there seller was moaning about how long the drive was…,

2 Likes

He threw in a Bryton Rider 330, too. Are they any good?
My garmin 520 is taking a bit to find the satellites so I use strava on my phone now quite frequently.
Also a two extra cogs. May need new levers , as I don’t know if those TRP levers (I think) are gonna get nice as level like the SRAMs I have with the bars on my felt.

2 Likes

I rode a season of rando on those levers, they’re good but idk if they’re as good as 10sp era sram SS levers

1 Like

What’s it take for you to NOT go ahead with a bike craigslist/marketplace transaction? I just checked out a CAADX today for my brother and it was really beat up. No dents or anything but definitely had a life as a full time commuter (paint completely cracked, rusty bolts, all cables frayed, tons of head tube housing wear, slow shifting, missing bar end plug, duct tape finishing tape). Top it all off the rear brake was missing pads so it was effectively non-functional. And then after using the one functional klamper from the hoods I’m pretty sure they need replacement. Guy was asking $600, I offered $500, and after I left he actually raised the price by $50 bc of all the responses he had! Figure he’ll have more tire kickers unless he actually gives a shit about selling it.

I think I would have bought if it was either superficially ugly but mechanically good, or looked mint/needed parts but restorable. To pay the asking and then need to swap brakes and then do a full servicing…WTH man. Also it even still had the recalled fork!

1 Like

$600 or even $500 for a clearly-abused-and-unloved bike that has non-functional brakes is crazytown IMHO

3 Likes

generally speaking, it being on craigslist is enough for me. tarck marketplace though? usually someone else needs to beat me to it

1 Like

Yeah dawg I bought a bike with a clapped out drivetrain and convinced the guy to knock off $100 for my trouble. He readily agreed.

1 Like

Still entertaining to read some of those posts…people love to ramble.

Clapped out indeed

e—Lmao the guy raised his price again and changed the description to “perfect working order”

2 Likes

$400 for a GT Alloy X w/Sora? I need a bike for a bikepacking trip this summer but have an unemployed person budget. Hesitation is that I’m not sure it fits big enough tires

1 Like

based on the wording of the ad and the position of the contact points, I’d expect there to be a lot of maintanence issues.

That era of Grade had what, 37mm tires stock?

1 Like

I saw some things saying 35 but not sure if that’s max size or stock tire size

1 Like

Same diff given rim width and carcass strength, usually.

I think mid 2010s was around when most mfgrs said fuck it about actually measuring tire clearances