Talk me out of buying this...

Still just having trouble wanting it since it doesn’t fold small enough for Amtrak

They really going to pull out a tape measure?

1 Like

thanks I got some from there, with an extra 10% off everything in the shopping cart which meant a rock-bottom price on anti-Jan tires Challenge Strada Bianca Race Tire - 650b x 46 Tubeless Folding Black/B

and also got some more colors steeply discounted from the company directly:

after checkout that spat out a referral code for 20% off Friend Landing Page

4 Likes

You know there’s a qr on the stem to pull the bar/stem so you can strap it to the main tube?

Having trouble seeing how you have decided it’s too big?

2 Likes

2 xootrs for $500? I offered him $400. I don’t want these bikes but my weird bike collector brain is kicking in.

4 Likes

Today’s the first release of the year for 12 foot Skeletons, to celebrate 6 months till Halloween

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Accents-Holiday-12-ft-Giant-Sized-Skeleton-with-LifeEyes-TM-LCD-Eyes-21SV22082/319895536

8 Likes

Are you suggesting that this is a better use of $300 than a xootr?

1 Like

So, if you need a straw buyer I’m in. Fred’s attack of the bone giants Halloween display will be epic.

Oh interesting. German site claims these tires weigh 440 grams. That’s certainly acceptable for a tire that will likely hold air for more than a few hours.

Gonna own two xootrs tonight lol

7 Likes

4 Likes

after meeting the swift folding guy and his son I’m kinda tempted to own one some day

I really really really want to buy this but my wife won’t let me because I just bought a frame and a caadx and I don’t ride any of my bikes anyway. But I still want it.

I loves me some vintage trek as much or more than the next person, but that one has some things I’d really want to check out first.

1. The serial number doesn’t really match what’s on the vintage-trek serial number decode page.
  2. All those braze-ons (double bottle bosses, DT shifter bosses, TT housing guides, pump peg) were not standard, though available as a custom option in the early years. However as a custom option you’d expect to see them on a top-of-the-line frameset (which maybe that is considering the serial number is off from a typical TX500).
  3. Rusty looking headset, rusty crusty seatpost binder bolt.
  4. The paint chip on the DT near the shifter boss (helpfully shown in a close-up) is likely from the front brake impacting there when the bars got fully turned in a crash or just tipping over would do it.

At a minimum, you really want a pic of it built up, or a measurement of axle center to brake mount hole center. I have owned a Trek this old that was supposedly for 27" wheels but in fact really only fit 700x26 on one end (which is another annoyance when front-rear clearances don’t match).

I’d also ask them to run their hands all over it and confirm no dents or ripples in the tubes, hard to tell from those pics.

This could be a sweet custom job from the factory -weird serial numbers aren’t unknown. Or it could be a bike someone later added on the braze-ons to then repainted. Or maybe the serial number wasn’t typed correctly for the ebay listing and there are more digits to it.

Finding a bike that age that will fit a 700x32 comfortably (aka came with 27" wheels originally) AND has double bottle bosses and the rest of the good braze-ons is kinda tricky, so if it’s just paint chips and the tubes are other wise straight I’d go for it.

6 Likes

you’ve heard of carfax, this is the bikefly

6 Likes

I did notice the serial number not adding up but good notes on the other issues. Thank you for talking me out of it as I am not allowed to buy it regardless of it’s condition lol

2 Likes

‘83 520 for shipping?

2 Likes

Pics?

This S+S coupler bike been on Craigslist for ages and I keep coming back to fantasies of bringing a bike every time I go on vacation. I have all the stuff to 650b convert it. I wanted to buy a brand new gravel bike but this would be half the price and do roughly the same thing if 650b converted.

Should I?