tandem posse rolls hard

DQ: under pressure, the stoker on my bike can turn the bars (along with the seatpost and saddle). is this just something to do with a poor clamp design? something that’s a general tandem hassle? a sign of other, more serious problems? i have the right size seatpost, well greased, and keep it plenty torqued, but it still budges sometimes.

I think it just has to do with handlebars being able to put a hell of a lot more torque on than the clamp is meant to deal with.

Fucking tell the person on the bike to chill on the roids bro.

Also… fucking sheldon brown. He has to be the first at errthing.

We took the green monster out for a 60 mile rail to trail ride, we still like eachother so I think it’s gonna work out. The saddles have to go, they were very mean to both of our naughty bits. A couple of Brooks and a little tweaking on the fit and we will be a happy team.

i want to ride through that tunnel.

superior tunnel to ride through

(fucking closed now tho D: )

[quote=EuroJosh]

[/quote]

quoted for HOTT NESS

(sorry 'bout the saddles)

It is usually wet and sometimes muddy. Makes great echoes.

my view for 60 miles

it was actually really fun. it was nice to get the feel for the tandem in a relatively controlled environment. very much looking forward to the next ride!

wish had girlfriend for tandem purposes

and other purposes

Maybe try carbon assembly paste in place of grease. The abrasiveness will give it much more “hold” at a given torque. I’ve used this on difficult bar/stem combos and elsewhere with good results.

Is the collar built into the frame, or separate? Maybe try a new clamp if it’s separate.

bump this thread cuz realizing that we like tandem riding but are super ill-fitting on this bike.

so tarck, help me find a tandem that fits two people with just about equal dimensions who ride ~53cm in normal road frames.

Totally forgot to borrow your tandem for the OBRA tandem crit championship. Oh well.

aww. well now it’s up in marketplace (and pdxfixed, and serottaforum), so it can be yours… brent is like 5’1", yeah? perfect stoker size

anyway, now eyeing this: http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/1828002726.html

pro: 9spd drivetrain
pro: great price
pro: roughly right size
con: mountain bike

Maybe I could put brent in a shrinking machine.

I’m bumping this since I’m moving back to NY and don’t need to think about moving a tandem.

Offroad tandems… yay or nay?

Seems impractical for anything other than wide, mellow gravel roads.

In other news, Ashley and I haven’t ridden our tandem since the day we brought it home. :frowning:

agreed. we rode on a trail with big chunks of rail-road gravel and it was too much. had to walk it in several places. but then again we were riding with slicks, maybe on tires with a chunky tread it woulddda been better.

but, i’m glad our tandem is capable of either on or off-road adventures.

Zach and I hit some moderate single track when we had the tandumb. It was very entertaining…for both of us?

There’s a few tight husband and wife teams that do the Root 66 XC/MTB series on tandems…they kill!

[quote=amz]agreed. we rode on a trail with big chunks of rail-road gravel and it was too much. had to walk it in several places. but then again we were riding with slicks, maybe on tires with a chunky tread it woulddda been better.

but, i’m glad our tandem is capable of either on or off-road adventures.[/quote]

That was sort of my thinking as well… get a tandem that is capable for either on or off roading. However, classic vintage tandems look so much nicer DOUBLE however… drum/rim brake collabo. Weaksauce.