Tarck Arts and Carfts. Post your home-built bikey stuff.

Some of those old Kona steel MTBs have true supple tubing. The bike looks great!

Thanks dudes. It’s just a 26er with a poorly angled photo taken of it.

Rides pretty supple, especially with tubeless and that long chair pole sticking out. Next up I gotta find a purple chairpole in 27.2 x 400mm to replace the 27.0 with a soda can. Maybe a purple headset too? Orange pedals are definitely calling my name as well.

Love that hose loop.

I want options.

Those brakes have been on 2 of my bikes and a couple of Motorbacon’s.

Moving my Vans for flat pedal sole-chat here.

Easiest thing to do is to carefully get started and then kind of lift the sole and slice at the inside of the flap repeatedly until you get through it:

I cut 3-4mm off my Vans pro sole the other day so I could stack the Superfeet carbon onto it.

I did a good day of MTB yesterday and am pleased to report that my shoes felt plenty supportive and generally perfect for my purposes. Did not once think they were too floppy, nor too stiff to walk on. Generally just forgot about my shoes. Perfect! If you are as stupid as me and start cutting your Vans soles up please don’t cut yourself. The foam they are made of is really difficult to work with. The project totally dulled a complete snap-off boxcutter blade. I’d estimate you need 1 of those blades per sole to do it without annoyance.

An electric fish knife goes through foam like an electric fish knife through fish. As to say, really easily. I used it to cut large slabs of latex foam and memory foam for a couple furniture projects a while back and loved it.

Dang I might do that carbon sole in vans.

oh good call.

I was imagining that something like that might do the job quickest. Just went down to the hardware store and grabbed the most appropriate box-cutter, which seemed like the snap-off blade one because you can make it really long.

You could also heat up a wire or clothes hanger and cut it with that. I have done that on other foam things.

Yeah pc power supply and some really thin wire works real good.

Top tip, right there.

God damn that sounds fun

• Nichrome wire

Working on a brass insert to fix my busted lever.
Fit is done, next is to tap and thread the brass, drill the lever, and fasten from the front side with tiny bolts.

can you make it a little more steampunk? like, add some natural leather and maybe use a liquid filled cologne sample vial for stability

Make sure to hot glue some random gears to make it properly steamy.

needle gauge gear indicator

Brass makes no sense at all for that application. It’s not cheap it’s not light, it’s really not that stiff. Why?

It’s scrap I had and it’s easy to shape. What would you do?