target tarck

there’s a bike on campus here with those wheels, and i’ve always been tempted to steal one.

Yes. Their golf clubs kick ass.

+1

Bicycles are tools for transportation. Not toys. Yes we can have fun on them but in the same way people can also have fun with cars. They are still tools.

[quote=“andrewro”]wow front suspension too!

I don’t believe I’ve seen front suspension and veeps on the same bike.[/quote]

pls check the jackass thread for a bianchi

[quote=“Rusty Piton”]That fork…

There is nothing in the world worse than shitty suspention.[/quote]

My little brothers friend had a cheap mongoose that looked like it had a suspension fork, it was actually rigid the rubber coverings just covered a part of the fork. It also had rear suspension that actually moved.

Stupid opinion.

+1

Bicycles are tools for transportation. Not toys. Yes we can have fun on them but in the same way people can also have fun with cars. They are still tools.[/quote]

No. My bikes are all toys.

edit: plz don’t semantics this to death.

ya

Stupid opinion.[/quote]

And what is smart about poorly made and poorly designed bicycles? It’s fine if people want to by them and ride recreationally, but these things are going to end up in a dumpster because they’re not worth repairing when they break.

the people who buy them deserve them

Stupid opinion.[/quote]

And what is smart about poorly made and poorly designed bicycles? It’s fine if people want to by them and ride recreationally, but these things are going to end up in a dumpster because they’re not worth repairing when they break.[/quote]

Yes the bikes are cheaply made, but the greater problem is ignorance on the part of the consumer. Generally, someone buying a bike at walmart is not going to understand the value of proper assembly, fit, etc. In the same way people are suckered into buying SUVS and never driving them offroad, most people will usually they go for the fake mountain bikes with the phoney suspensions, thinking that those bikes are the most comfortable and sturdy, which is totally wrong. So the bikes usually end up not fitting and not working very well and getting dumpstered.

The unsuspended box-store bikes tend to be OK when assembled properly (including tensioning the spokes) and will hold up to casual riding very well, which is what they are intended for. My dad’s $100 WALMART Mongoose Paver is still functioning perfectly after a couple years. These bikes do fill a niche…most people on bikes ride slow and less than 3 miles at time…a more expensive bike is pointless.

This.

Mihlbach is right about some folks just not appreciating the value of a good, well constructed and designed bicycle. Most buy these bikes for their 13 year olds who haven’t really got a clue about bikes but just want one because I mean, who the fuck doesn’t want a bike?

Chances are, these bikes will be left outside, rained on, mistreated, stolen. Why not have this happen to a cheap almost disposable Walmart bike? I’d definitely rather see my neighbor’s kid leave his Mongoose laying in the grass than a (insert your favorite manufacturer here).

Bikes are bikes. Bikes are fun. While they may be tools and important to us, they aren’t important to everyone and they’re still definitely toys. When I was growing up my bikes were my favorite toys. As I get older, my bike is still my favorite toy.

my bike will have to replace my xbox360 as i look for another one to replace it since mine just shit the fucking bed

I take it the warranty is dunzo?

+a million

I can’t believe you people are calling them toys. Just because they are not important to everyone doesn’t make them any less of a tool. I could give a shit less about power drills or most cars, they are still tools. Bikes are tools just like a car, or a damn horse and buggy is. It gets me from point A to point B?

But then again, I try to ride my bike to do grocery shopping and the like, I’d gather most who consider them toys use them exclusively for fun. That still doesn’t make them any less of an important tool for my day to day life.

But back on tarck: If these target bikes lost the marketing gimmicks (faux suspension, ridiculous seats, etc) they could be very decent for the same price point.

I think this burgeoning toy debate is based on people not understanding each other. In this case, f X is some functional object a “toy X” is a simplistic and not-quite functional version of X. Think of the difference between a toy guitar and a real guitar, or a toy tennis racket and a real one—that’s what’s at issue here. Of course people use their bikes to play, just as they do tennis rackets and musical instruments, but I think that’s not what blix was talking about.

I take it the warranty is dunzo?[/quote]

yea, no longer under warranty. even if it was, freezing xbox isn’t covered. only red ring. so pay 94 bucks and wait hella long for it to come back or get xbox arcade which is probably the newer xbox that doesn’t fuck up and enjoy by saturday.

Stupid opinion.[/quote]
I agree with zombie here. People buying these bikes has no overall impact on the world… unless you are referencing people supporting store such as walmart and target who outsource jobs and are just generally shitty stores (but I highly doubt that was your point)

This.

Mihlbach is right about some folks just not appreciating the value of a good, well constructed and designed bicycle. Most buy these bikes for their 13 year olds who haven’t really got a clue about bikes but just want one because I mean, who the fuck doesn’t want a bike?

Chances are, these bikes will be left outside, rained on, mistreated, stolen. Why not have this happen to a cheap almost disposable Walmart bike? I’d definitely rather see my neighbor’s kid leave his Mongoose laying in the grass than a (insert your favorite manufacturer here).

Bikes are bikes. Bikes are fun. While they may be tools and important to us, they aren’t important to everyone and they’re still definitely toys. When I was growing up my bikes were my favorite toys. As I get older, my bike is still my favorite toy.[/quote]
Well said. If kids are enjoying themselves on these bikes, more power to them. I’d rather kids get into riding bicycles/skateboards/whatever and staying active than sitting on thier asses all day or tagging parks and shit.
Bikes are toys. Some people just take their toys more seriously. The same idea applies to cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles etc. All forms of transportation and they all bring joy to a certain demographic of people.
Those bikes are overpriced though.

Yet you all bitch and moan when told to get off the road with your toys.

I’m not saying cheap bikes are bad and fun is fun no matter how cheap it is, but the notion that bikes are toys is something that has to stop if we want things like bike lanes and sane bike laws.

There is a reason why bike lines are called bike lanes and not rollerblading lanes.