target tarck

[quote=“NitroPye”][quote=“bonechilling”][quote=“Prazosin”]

You lack the ability to contribute worthwhile relevant statements.[/quote]

That may be, but it doesn’t change the fact that your post was basically a non-sequitur, since no one here is saying that Mexican dishwashers should be riding NJS frames or advocating against inexpensive bikes. How you could take either of those point away from this thread boggles the mind.[/quote]

Bingo. This is why we keep you around.[/quote]
I thought it was because he’s so sexy?

So you’re all saying that if walmart would sell a bike that wasn’t just a bunch of pointless features, then the general non-riding public wouldn’t think of them as toys. So what do you propose for those people forced to ride a bike, or walk, or take public transit if they can’t get an affordable bike from wally world?

community cycling centers or other forms of co-ops

Yeah. I’m a fucking hippie.

Seriously though. There are enough quality bikes in our own backyard to fill the need. They just need to be fixed up and put in the right hands.

Seriously though. There are enough quality bikes in our own backyard to fill the need. They just need to be fixed up and put in the right hands.[/quote]

the only bike co-op i can think of is in third ward. there’s only like one. maybe in san francisco or some other utopia there are more bike co-ops than walmarts but everyone isn’t lucky enough to have a garage with free bike parts and a knowledgable volunteer staff in their community.

You live in SEATTLE! Come on man. Not all of us have co-op, or fucking bike lanes for that matter. I would love to buy all of my random goods at locally owned shops, but those shops don’t exist everywhere. So … walmart is where most people have to go. I know, I don’t like it. It sucks. But goddamnit what are we to do?

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/bik/

I don’t see any affordable bikes that aren’t walmart bikes. The bikes in backyards are walmart bikes.

Seriously though. There are enough quality bikes in our own backyard to fill the need. They just need to be fixed up and put in the right hands.[/quote]

This.

It’s far less expensive and far more energy efficient to fix up an old but good bike than produce a disposable bike. You have to think globally and temporally about this.

However…that doesn’t mean megastores can’t sell new bikes.

I do think Walmart and Target could commission and market simple, inexpensive, and high quality bikes for cyclocommuting. I know you all hate OSObike, but it’s a good product that could become well marketed in the right hands.

Edit - Also, the SE Draft is a another good example. Cheap but gets the job done.

I totally agree on walmart selling better bikes, but it’s rather difficult to find those backyard bikes. How does one go about getting said reusable bikes? What about fixing these bikes? I know bike co-ops are the answer, but not every town/state has these. If all you can find (and afford) in your area is a walmart bike, than that’s what you’re going to buy.

shit i WISH i could find one of these good but abandoned bikes! when i just wanted to build a conversion it was a bitch to find a non-huffy, roadmaster, or murray frame for cheap.

who says the walmart/target bikes can’t get the job done? it’s already been brought up that the migrant laborers use them daily. good enough for them, does the job. what’s the argument?

I think I’m arguing with myself now, but the original argument was that walmart bikes make bike look like toys. While this may be true, some folks can’t get a bike that isn’t a walmart bike. I was just upset because it seemed like people were jumping down Prazosin’s throat, even though he was at least trying to make a decent point. I don’t think it came across right.

One of the hardcorest dudes I know is a guy in my anatomy lab group who is trying to become a nurse after serving in the military. He doesnt have a car so rides his walmart bike EVERYWHERE. To the grocery stores, to school, at night, in the rain, etc. I know to us this doesnt seem differnt, but most people who are willing to ride their bike all the time dont do it on a bike completely not made for it. He rides this dorky walmart suspension bike. I was telling him he needs to get him a road bike asap and stop riding around in granny gear all the time (nicely/jokingly). I guess my point is a lot of people who cant afford a car DO ride these goofy walmart bikes around a lot, and could certainly due with better and easier options.

This is what I’m saying.

Nobody offers a real solid commuter bike at Walmart price points, even though it can be done (steel, singlespeed, 700c wheels, etc). A lot of people buy Walmart bikes to commute to work on, these people need something real at the lowest price points. I’m blaming the marketing people in these bike corporations.[/quote]

Bikesdirect should work with walmart or kmart then

hey jeff fuck off. Someone else already has the daft punk shit goin’ for 'em.

Not so critical now eh there JEFFFFFFFFYYYY???

people on target bikes probably get, “hey, nice shiny bike.” from the common man more than you do on your custom $1000 tarck ride and now that these bikes have something resembling veeps on them, your bike might be associated with one that is sold at wally world. we must hate on them!

Good idea, but it probably won’t sell.

A hundred dollar bicycle that lacks junk suspension and other gimmicks is going to be higher quality than a hundred dollar bicycle that has all that crap because you are putting the same amount of money into fewer parts and less labor. So you would think that Wally World would sell more of these. However, I read an interview once, maybe in Bicycling Magazine, with an executive from one of these junk bike companies (something like Huffy or Magna). He said they would prefer to make a greater number of more practical bikes (i.e. simple bikes without junk suspension), but that almost nobody buys them. Instead, most people go for the fake MTBs that look like motorcycles and downhill bikes. Its the SUV phenomenon, only with bikes, and a lot of the blame falls to the consumer.

I don’t know why you guys are blaming the Mexicans for wanting to get the benefits of an aero rim. :colbert:

This ties in to what I posted earlier. As Americans we hate paying a lot of money without understanding why, and we hate deferring to the expertise of other people even more.

[quote=“mihlbach”][quote=“blickblocks”]

However…that doesn’t mean megastores can’t sell new bikes.

I do think Walmart and Target could commission and market simple, inexpensive, and high quality bikes for cyclocommuting. I know you all hate OSObike, but it’s a good product that could become well marketed in the right hands.
[/quote]

Good idea, but it probably won’t sell.

A hundred dollar bicycle that lacks junk suspension and other gimmicks is going to be higher quality than a hundred dollar bicycle that has all that crap because you are putting the same amount of money into fewer parts and less labor. So you would think that Wally World would sell more of these. However, I read an interview once, maybe in Bicycling Magazine, with an executive from one of these junk bike companies (something like Huffy or Magna). He said they would prefer to make a greater number of more practical bikes (i.e. simple bikes without junk suspension), but that almost nobody buys them. Instead, most people go for the fake MTBs that look like motorcycles and downhill bikes. Its the SUV phenomenon, only with bikes, and a lot of the blame falls to the consumer.[/quote]

I would love to read this article, was it recently? I have at least the last 2 years worth of Dicycling.

Sorry, I don’t remember where I read it. Bicycling is just a guess. It was a few years ago.