That's a nice rack you got there; shame if something happened to it...

[quote=Shortpants]I can see if soma will make one.

EDIT: The haulin colin porteur?[/quote]

Yep, the porteur. I can imagine the problems since Colin wasn’t interested in making them at $300 a pop.

If you’re going to copy Haulin Colin / Cyclefab design I would suggest using something like a size Large Swift Ozette bag as the template outline. I think many people were disappointed when they discovered that their large bag was a little too small for the porteur rack shape which actually matches the Ozette XL footprint. XL bag is a special order not shown on the website with unique velcro strap locations.

Most rando bags have velcro straps that start from the inside and pull outward with the inner support rails of the rack being captured, not the outer rails. This works great for those that want to use narrow racks but if you have a bag / porteur rack that have matching perimeters its a little easier to use if the velcro goes around the outer edge IME.

Unfortunately the HC/Cyclefab rack has angled supports that are not compatible with the more popular velcro configuration (seen on Large Ozette).
To solve this on my custom Rawland Stag rack I had Orc design the inner supports to be the same width as most skinny rando racks even though I asked Swift to make a special size small Ozette bag that has velcro that wraps around the outer edge. That way I can use a standard bag or the semi-custom small Ozette.

Unfortunately I see many people using Large Ozettes on the HC/Cyclefab racks which is the worst configuration. Not only does the overall bag footprint not match (no bag support from outer rail), the velcro also emanates from the center and attempts to loop around angled rails.

Jeff Lyon Fork for Rawland Stag with custom Orc Rack & Swift Industries Small Ozette by Andrew Squirrel, on Flickr

Compare_Overall by Andrew Squirrel, on Flickr

Compare_Velcro by Andrew Squirrel, on Flickr

Haulin Colin Rack with possible Ozette Velcro Locations by Andrew Squirrel, on Flickr

I still haven’t taken any photos of my current configuration. I had Swift make me a second XL Ozette with the velcro relocated for the most recent HC / Cyclefab design.
I am also working on adding some elastic webbing and plastic buckle that allow me to mate the two opposing velcro strips on the front of the rack. As is any bumpy terrain immediately releases the velcro on the front of the rack. When joined with a buckle it should prevent this release.

Nandaa yo?!

With my medium ozette and custom rack with inner rails a little wider than the haulin colin, I find the Velcro to be a suboptimal fastening method. Although having the outer rails support the outer edge of the bag would be nice, the Velcro gets gunked up too much and then it doesn’t do much good no matter where it is, especially on rough road with a heavily loaded bag. I’ve found a that having the rails wider than the bag a little and using toeclips to connect the rails to the plastic loops on the side of the bag is very secure, and lighter than a decaleur, although not stylish

One guy had our rando bag on a Soma rack and used a pair of bungee cords through the outer molle straps to secure it to the rack. I’d personally use a pair of buckles or toe straps, but it held very sturdy through a ton of very bumpy terrain.

We’re in the midst of designing a rack that is adjustable with a larger platform to work with rando bags and better support baskets. Won’t be here soon enough for y’all though.

That bro should be using a much larger bag atmo.

Not bagging your thing, but if you’ve got room, go big or go home!

At least he doesn’t have klampers.

Yeah it seems like a tasteful Wolverine build afaict

Edit: wait is that a Paul stem? I take back what I said.

Igor will your new rack work in a similar way to the Rawland James?

[quote=Andrew_Squirrel]

[/quote]

In Squirrel we trust!

WOW

It’s tukt!

All this talk just reminds me that we are still in need of a fully-integrated, off-the-shelf, rack and bag system. Specialized is sort of trying with the Pizza Rack, but they’re Specialized so they can’t do anything right except for Stumpjumpers and Tarmacs. I hope VO takes up this mantle, even if they have to force a new standard on the industry.

That’s basically what we did with our rando rack and bag. No drilling or soldering iron needed to install the bag mount for the decaleur receiver.

ThurberMingus, it will have adjustable lower and upper struts with a couple options of positioning along the fork blade to appease most if not all.

[quote=igor]That’s basically what we did with our rando rack and bag. No drilling or soldering iron needed to install the bag mount for the decaleur receiver.

ThurberMingus, it will have adjustable lower and upper struts with a couple options of positioning along the fork blade to appease most if not all.[/quote]

Gonna fix the integrated decaleur excessive spring?

[quote=EddBread][quote=igor]That’s basically what we did with our rando rack and bag. No drilling or soldering iron needed to install the bag mount for the decaleur receiver.

ThurberMingus, it will have adjustable lower and upper struts with a couple options of positioning along the fork blade to appease most if not all.[/quote]

Gonna fix the integrated decaleur excessive spring?[/quote]

Integrating the uprights into the rack makes it stiff af. Night and day compared to the old design.

Does the rack work with the riv/Soma/radlawn/etc. Bosses or the old v-o boss placement?

i might buy one if it works on a nerda

i might buy one if it works on a nerda[/quote]

I’m really into this for some reason, maybe with Salsa stays (it’s a shit idea right?) I’ve always wanted to go to Helsinki, plus I have a friend there hmm… any tarckers in Euroland?

Current Rando works with old VO boss placement, but we increased the length of the arms and opened the angle a smidge for bigger clearances, so it might work with riv and other placements. New, under construction rack will work with erything. If you’re running cantis, just get the canti rando rack, it’s better.

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/rbw-owners-bunch/sSpQmwXA4kA

Found this thread re. Marks rack tang failures.