That's a nice rack you got there; shame if something happened to it...

Bigger fork plate is a good thing. The V1 design (which I have) this is a concern area for me. I haven’t used it enough to know if it will be an issue for sure, but I’m reasonably good at understanding these things and though I’m sure it’s fine for now if I start carrying heavier loads I am going to add a backup for sure to prevent endo-ing.

Well here it is, lining up a Crust front rack on the H/G v.2 fork

Seems ok, it’s no Haulin Colin though. On the plus side it’s not as heavy or fiddly as a Surly 8-pack rack.
Could be cheaper though.

Eric at Winter just posted a couple of my incoming rack and bag. Gotta get the rest of the bike built up so it’ll be mostly plug and play when the fork/rack/bag arrive.

hell of a keystone

Thanks to Todd I have a Some Lucas rack for my Univega. The problem is that the rack sits about 2" above the tang when I connect it to the fork crown. What’s the solution here? Can I get a new tang from the hardware store and bend it to fit? Can I use one that is thin enough to bend by hand or do I need something as beefy as the stock one (~2mm thick) where I’d need a vice and some long tools for leverage? This is for city cruising duty for likely no more than 20lb on the rack.

Sounds like you need shorter struts not a longer tang

Yeah, would be cool, but the struts don’t change length.

The rack is advertised as fitting a 26" bike. Is it likely that this is assuming a suspension corrected rigid fork?

Nah, it’s because"fits" and “fits appropriately” are completely different things.

When they say “fits”, they mean “it is usually physically possible to install this rack on a bike with a 26” front wheel."

Are the struts on a Lucas beefy enough that you could cut them, flatten the end, and drill a new hole?

Looks like I’d hit a weld before I got it low enough for the stock piece to work. I did some measuring and C.A.D. work and made a drawing of what I think I need. Sean said he’d see what he could do at his shop.

The classic tarck overkill

I looked for something to replace it at our rad local hardware store that has everything, but they didn’t have something that fit the bill. I guess I could go to a shop and ask if they have extra rack hardware laying around.

sorry i’ve done all the calculations and you just need to buy a custom frame. there is no use in continuing on this path.

No?

I saw similar brackets in several different sections, but nothing like that.

Dang, I went with a 250 x 200 x 25 x 4.5mm zinc plated angle bracket

Surely they have a lonely rack with a 3/4" x 1/16" strip of hot roll

I was chatting to a person who’s gluing metal bits to make racks. He’s unkeen to rate a weight load further than 5kg without access to lower eyelets/ (axle/dropout support) and wouldn’t be able to force more triangulation into a upper fork eyelet braze on mounting solution.

So should I drop the struts from the mid eyelets to the lower eyelets?

Hell No it would make that rack soooo much worse — reducing triangulation and adding wobble that will loosen the bolts

its actual problem is being a quadrilateral with a pivot at every corner, poised to collapse

the best things you can do for it are loctite everywhere, and finding ways to lock out the struts so that they eyebolts have fewer degrees of freedom