That's a nice rack you got there; shame if something happened to it...

I think you need a separate handlebar attachment to prevent serious wiggling. OR a large platform that provides a lot of stability to the bag.

I believe the flawed crown bolt design is because Nitto thread the bolt all the way to the end (where it sees the most stress) whereas that rack is only partially threaded.
Please correct me if me if that is wrong.

As a person that constantly needs to take his bags off the rack I agree that integrated decaleur wouldn’t work for me but I think most of the population would probably benefit from having bags that are near-permanently attached to their racks. The current decaleur offerings are so abysmal and complicated with such a huge variety of cockpits/racks that I can’t blame anyone for wanting it integrated to the rack.

now this is some fun-ctional artsyness:

Learning from Mr. Sullivan by Daniel Pleikies, on Flickr

Anyone ever seen this little cheap front rack?
Probably wouldn’t trust it with a basket, but might be an ok cheapo bag support, or place to strap a sleeping bag/tent/etc.
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube-rfr-front-carrier-496564

Can’t tell how beefy/adjustable the tang is, I’d be worried it would either fit perfectly or not at all. Seems like a good design for the price otherwise?

Yeah, I waffled on throwing one in my cart while I was ordering some new Thunder Burts, then decided against it. It would have been for my old 80’s mtb, and I expect it wouldn’t fit without enough dicking around to make it not worth the trouble.

I’ve got one of this version sitting around https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/carriers-racks/alloy-front-carrier-cantilever-boss-mounting-black-alloy/?geoc=US&vat=EX&changecurrency=USD

seems pretty much perfect for a Wald 135, the fence angle and holes are ideal

that german one looks even better, the front slot would get you a third basket mount point and the ability to use a stock dyno light mount too

i believe its now official, it has been endorsed by fred so that means a tarck group buy will soon be in effect

HY?

[quote=Old man yells at cloud]Anyone ever seen this little cheap front rack?
Probably wouldn’t trust it with a basket, but might be an ok cheapo bag support, or place to strap a sleeping bag/tent/etc.
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube-rfr-front-carrier-496564

[/quote]

I bet it’s perfect on CUBE bikes, everything else is a crapshoot and a half.

has anyone actually fondled that restrap rando bag? curious on thoughts beyond “no rear pockets”

Friend had one on a recent ride and said she was having issues with the attachment piece that clamps to the rack. Not sure if user error or design flaw.
Surprisingly I didn’t get a chance to get a good look at it because I was having so much fun interacting with humans and nature.

I’m thinking of getting one and fondled it quickly in a shop.

Note: i’ve never owned a rando bag before, never fondled a Swift IRL

• No decaleur seems nice, but i’m curious how much vertical slop / bounciness there will be. Latch mechanism is pretty clever though
  • Shopbro had one and said he liked it…but he had to chop down the mounting plate because it was so wide (see below)
  • I’m OK with no rear pockets - was thinking about modding rear with some feedbags (MOLLE on back??)
  • Obvious downside to me is the interior lining color being gray - a contrasting / light color would be better (see below)
  • Biggest potential plus: Would be sw8 to design some sort of mounts for a small Wald basket so you can swap between rando bag and basket depending on the ride!

I think most rando bag manufacturers choose grey because the inside of the bag tends to get really gross really quickly and that color hides the stains better than others.
Contrasting interior colors are nice for big deep vessels like backpacks though.

That image of a unpadded DSLR and U-lock is making me nervous. RIP camera.

The no rear pockets might be a deal breaker for me. I use them constantly on my Ozettes since they typically hold my cellphone and wallet but I could see supplementing with a couple feedbags and having better access and extra volume assuming the bags rarely need to be detached.

Yeah, I keep wallet + phone + kleenex (+ snickers) in feedbag for easy access. Small Trash goes in there too

I like how VO / Road Runner implemented the Molle straps on their rando bags (because #options)

I want to do this for my porteurbiek. Sometimes the porteur bag is great, sometimes the bare platform is great, but I often missed just having a cheap basket and a bungee net.

I’ve been thinking about that for a while

ideally you could use the same decaleur-ish hardware on a basket, rando bag, and saddlebag

so if you want to portage something big on the rack, you could rotate the luggage to work “well enough” in another location

Bag/rack combo for me is a Swift Pelican and a Soma eco porteur. Usually it’s not wanting to switch things out mid-ride. An Ortlieb rail thing might work well to connect the basket to the rear fence/tombstone thing, along with something else to keep the front in place. Judicious application of velcro straps might even work well enough for what I’m trying to do, had I given any thought to this at all.

I’ve tried nothing and I’m all out of ideas!

My first thought for basket/bag swap was to re-use the (admittedly clumsy looking) rack mounting plate and fabricate a 2-sided plate that sandwiches the basket, with appropriately placed holes for these

More variations of same tech here
http://www.fidlock.com/en/fasteners/snap

The fidlock situation does look interesting. Currently using a Ozette in Large and the bottom velcro straps aren’t cutting it.