the look out honey coz im usin technology aka the garmin/powertap/srm thread

get in here motherfuckers. this ain’t no unibomber, bitches!

so i know it’s cx season and i’m a couple beers deep as we speak, but i wanna know who’s with me for some antisocial winter training. some deer antler spray trainer sessions. some home run derby, highscore shennanigans. some get-burnt-the-fuck-out before road season even starts goodtimes!

j/k i havent even read the coggan book yet, but lets bench race anyfuckinways

hoo boy, a power thread.

i predict you will need one of these:

in about 3 pages.

FU dug an yr flashytap you rode in on

We having a gramin outputs thrad? I vote a max cadence comp. I think it would be easiest to judge. Also FU with your northern hemisphere timings, I could have used this motivation to train during my winter which has just ended.

^well you can post your race data here.

honestly i had to have someone else get the power function to work. i’m pretty clueless

Except those things read wrong allll the time. I would trust my old wired cateye way over my garmin for something like that. Too glitchy.

Lollin’ at thread title.

god he is an ugly mother fucker

u crazy babby. thats what a real man looks like.

hey i think my set up is messed up. i get 275-300w just cruising up ankeny at 16mph

wtf mane

[quote=truckdoug]u crazy babby. thats what a real man looks like.

hey i think my set up is messed up. i get 275-300w just cruising up ankeny at 16mph

wtf mane[/quote]

What’s the grade and what do you and the bike weigh? It’s not particularly hard to put down 300W for a few minutes. It is particularly hard to put down 300W for an hour.

well i did the calibrate function on the garmin, but i have no idea what the protocol for the PT is. so i just spun the wheel and the garmin beeped and said calibrated. lulz. we’ll see if that changes.
yeah it was a pace i could ride all day. i was taking it easy on my way to acupuncture :confused:
something is a miss in techno-town

also none of the 6 or so HR straps i rustled up jive with the garmin.
whats a cheap ant+ HR strap? i heard something about bontrager?

ok yeah its workin way better now
this is my morningtimes, pre-work course
ignore the HR and cadence, i think my garmin was picking up my broski’s signals

Anyone want to buy a Garmin 305?

[quote=truckdoug]ok yeah its workin way better now
this is my morningtimes, pre-work course
ignore the HR and cadence, i think my garmin was picking up my broski’s signals
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/114834116[/quote]

Says I don’t have privileges to view.

Coggan book has the test protocol. Should probably get on that soon. Once you have the power meter dialed, you’ll want to sort out your performance management chart, which means you’ll be using the power meter to track your training volume. All the Garmin software is pretty much bunk for training with power. It’s neat, shows you averages and shit, but is pretty pointless. You could spend money or maybe get a bro-deal on WKO+ or use Golden Cheetah, which works well. Learning curve is kinda steep on either. Golden Cheetah is free and runs on Mac if that matters.

oops i forgot to unlock it.
i found the coggan book online awhile back, but lost or forgot to bookmark it
link anyone?

i figured the learning curve would be steep, so i have the shit now to play with and figger out before real training this winter starts

Which power meter do you use for your gramin? I’ve been thinking of getting one. shrug my garmin is pretty reliable and never spikes etc.

powertap pro +

[quote=truckdoug]oops i forgot to unlock it.
i found the coggan book online awhile back, but lost or forgot to bookmark it
link anyone?

i figured the learning curve would be steep, so i have the shit now to play with and figger out before real training this winter starts[/quote]

I’d suggest just buying the book. It’s not that expensive and is nice to have around.

I think I wrote a wall of text about performance manager in the training thread. Basically, it’s just a good way to measure training stress so that you can progressively increase dosage, kinda like adding 5lbs to your squat every workout. Anyway, what you can do now to prepare for that is to record each training ride and save the file. This will give you an accurate starting point when you first start using the software.

Expensive? I was really psyched to hear about garmin’s pedal thingy, but terribly un-psyched when I heard about their proprietary pedals.

well not too expensive. i did the 3.5 deal so the hub came to $460. i was also considering the pedals until i saw they’d be $1300ish for shop bros. i like that you can track power by individual leg. thats cool.

heath, gotcha.