the look out honey coz im usin technology aka the garmin/powertap/srm thread

Yeah, all the pedal thingies were vaporware for the longest and were supposed to have been a competitively priced alternative to existing products. Guess that didn’t work out. I imagine that development costs were higher than anticipated.

They do have some cool features, though. They’ll work really well for track cycling.

[quote=truckdoug]
whats a cheap ant+ HR strap? i heard something about bontrager?[/quote]

I don’t think the bontrager one is any cheaper than the garmin one but i can find out how much it’d cost me if youre interested.

Dougie, I’m going to go on record as saying you don’t need HR. It’s pointless if you have power. Save your pennies for the Coggan book, it’ll be more of a benefit to you.

i emailed trainingpeaks to see if they kick deals to lbs bros, but my money is small right now so i’ll start messin with GC and see whats good.

i would like to track HR as well, so if i can get a HR strap that works awesome, if no fuck it.

I’m gonna go ahead and disagree with a caveat.
Hr is very useful for a total type A whackjob like myself. It tells me without fail when I am overdoing it.
When my hr is pegged at 180 and I can’t sustain my wattage it’s time to pack up and head home.

My hr also tells me when on a gven week I’ve overdone it, when I look at both it and wattage. It also tells me when my disease is acting up. My hr will go sky high perceived effort is lower than it should be and wattage is usually 20-30% less

Hr is interesting over the long term, although IMO useless for training. Far too variable. Curretly studying CV system.

Also… Any of you PT bros wanna help me put together a study? I’m building a research project on genetics and wattage. Might need a blood sample. Your epo usage is strictly confidential and private. Same with usage of shitty Oregon coke and Or good Canadian pot.

Okay, you’re right about HR indicating a state of overtraining.

i just felt like being contentious, really, though.

HR, for me, is merely a good indicator of when I’m overdoing it and about to blow up. power is amazing and once you start using it you really wonder how you ever lived without all that sweet precious data.

it is to training what the xray was to medicine.

Milin, I’m wondering if you ever got your PMC dialed? TSB should have also been a good indicator of overtraining.

negatory. never really got an indication about that. My base is crap this year. training is sporadic i.e. when i don’t have exams which is like one week a month that I can really get on it. gonna be off all october though…

If you wanna sit down some time and go over how to use GC, I’m game to help.

I’ve considered getting an HRM for cross because I feel like I tend to underdo it when racing. When I’m really cooked I can’t handle a bike to save my life (not that I’m very good at it to begin with), but I don’t quite know where the line is.

YMMV, but i found going by just HR to be immensely frustrating. varies way too much. you’d need a year of data to make any sense of it.

here’s another little morning ride i like to do. riding partners are both about 20lbs less than me, so this effort cooked me pretty good. cracked up on one of the kickers

so i got the coggan book and dl’d golden cheetah. holy shit im so confused. what a learning curve!

did my first ftp test today. i tried to aim for 275w and stick it, but i was all over the place. plus that might be a little low as i had plenty of gas left to get home
damn, pacing yourself is hard

so, im the only one messing with power these days?
what did i miss the next tarck thing? i thought it was powermeters?

I was going to train with powar this winter, but I decided a nice, healthy dose of HTFU might work better.

I might still get a PowerTap if I get a raise sometime this year. (More likely a PITD, instead)

[quote=truckdoug]so, im the only one messing with power these days?
what did i miss the next tarck thing? i thought it was powermeters?[/quote]

it was supercommuters. and fenders.

doug
www.strava.com

lulz
everywhere has a ‘segment’ where you can race people without even knowing it
after not logging in for like 6 weeks, theres all these new “segments”. my fave is “legacy hill”… the “uphill” part of vancouver, which is 17’ of gain.
i’m killing it on that section.

lulz. im not tryna race anyone i just need help navigating GC. shit is hella confusing