the look out honey coz im usin technology aka the garmin/powertap/srm thread

fu babbay

[quote=aerobear]doug
www.strava.com

lulz
everywhere has a ‘segment’ where you can race people without even knowing it
after not logging in for like 6 weeks, theres all these new “segments”. my fave is “legacy hill”… the “uphill” part of vancouver, which is 17’ of gain.
i’m killing it on that section.[/quote]

quickly discovering the awesomeness of this app.

you beat me on some 2 mile ‘descent’ down barbur blvd., but we both beat molly cameron. pro contracts are coming in the mail as i speak.

[quote=AndreBear][quote=aerobear]doug
www.strava.com

lulz
after not logging in for like 6 weeks, theres all these new “segments”. my fave is “legacy hill”… the “uphill” part of vancouver, which is 17’ of gain.

quickly discovering the awesomeness of this app.

you beat me on some 2 mile ‘descent’ down barbur blvd., but we both beat molly cameron. pro contracts are coming in the mail as i speak.[/quote]

i was rulling it, #2 place on some segment of a PIR lap, but then some people did some weird shit and a bunch of people have speeds of like 200+ mph at pir (“Idiot Circles”).

booted up strava while doing motorcycle laps at the track, probs.

Have you read the Coggan book, yet?

I don’t have a power meter, but I really want one. Instead I have to train on HR and feel. Sucks mang.

Have you read the Coggan book, yet?[/quote]

Yes I, have?

j/k anyways coggan talks about “cherry picking” points for critical power. he uses wko+ so i have no idea wtf im doing coz GC
i’m thinking the learning curve is so steep a coach who trains with power would be a BIG plus

200 mph??
right.
not sure what it is, top guy is 318mph

molly has a bunch of motorpaced workouts on there, so “winning” things like sauvie island loop at 30mph

[quote=truckdoug]j/k anyways coggan talks about “cherry picking” points for critical power. he uses wko+ so i have no idea wtf im doing coz GC
i’m thinking the learning curve is so steep a coach who trains with power would be a BIG plus[/quote]

Maybe. It depends on the coach. There are a lot of well-paid coaches in the world with a lot of foolish notions about training with power. I’m willing to help you get over the learning curve as much as I can.

As for your FTP. If you upload your “test” file into GC then it will calculate your CP which will be fairly accurate. If you go do a few more rides and test for specific time intervals, then CP will be even more accurate. For example, when you’re feeling fresh, cruise around for 20-30 minutes to get warm, then do a 60s all out effort. Rest for a few minutes and try again. Save that file, and it’ll give you a point on your power chart for 1m. On a different day, do the same for a 5m effort and on another day, do the same for a 20m effort. The more points you have for “best power” at a given time interval, the more accurate your CP chart is going to be. The points you choose don’t have to be super-specific. Which is to say, if you get a best effort for 63s instead of 60s, it’s just as good.

Otherwise, you could taper a bit and then do a >60m TT to get true FTP and start from there. Regardless, FTP in the beginning is just a swag to set training intensity. You’re going to want to progressively increase training stress and as you do, your FTP is going to improve in the process.

You might consider doing 4 week cycles, where you’re doing 3 weeks of FTP work and then a 4th week of recovery, following which you re-test FTP and do it all over. Once you get your FTP, I can lay out sample programs for you based on your training goals. At this point of the year, you probably want to build some base without overdoing it too much, which is basically just FTP work.

Honestly, the learning curve isn’t that bad. You just need to start doing it to understand how it all works. You don’t have context yet, once you do, it’ll make a lot more sense.

[quote=aerobear]doug
www.strava.com

lulz
legacy hill cracks me the fuck up. also i posted like the worst time ever down willamette because i went up to fred meyer on ida and got like 30 minutes total. lol

i dont think i could ever do a true 60 minute test. just 20 minutes is boring as fuck

Send me the file from the test you did (halbritt at gmail dot com).

sent it.

also im having a hard time understanding the difference between critical power profile and my fatigue resistance profile

im having a hard time grasping any of this at all. I want a coach who actually uses recovery since I seem to need a lot of it. if I ride hard a lot i can literally watch myself getting weaker and weaker.

PT coming in next week. Is it a good idea to do some pre-training testing?

[quote=truckdoug]sent it.

also im having a hard time understanding the difference between critical power profile and my fatigue resistance profile[/quote]

They’re just two different ways to present the same data. Critical power as you know is a reasonably accurate representation of your best effort power at a given time interval. This data is most useful in helping you set the intensity of your workouts, but it’s also useful in helping you understand your strengths. You can use a power profile chart to let you where you are in terms of W/KG for a given interval. Check out this power profile chart:

Your fatigue resistance profile can be deceptive and I wouldn’t worry about it too much right now. After you’ve trained for a while, it could be worthwhile to help you win races. Basically, it may tell you which energy systems you have strength in. On the contrary, it may tell you which energy system you’re most unadapted in. For example, if your 8m power is high compared to your 5m power, it may suggest that you have excellent fatigue resistance for VO2Max work. On the other hand, it may indicate that your 5m power is shit and that you should do some more training in that department.

Again, I wouldn’t suggest worrying about either of these very much right now. Starting to train with power is a process that takes a few months. The most important thing for someone just getting started is to ascertain FTP, set some goals and amass some data such that the performance management chart starts to make sense.

If you can get to that point, you’ll be doing better than 95% of the rest of the people in the world training with power. The lightbulb will come on and it will all start to make sense. Most folks get a power meter, do a few tests, and use that to meter the intensity of their workouts and that’s where it ends. The PMC will allow you to plan your training with an extraordinary degree of accuracy through the season and drive power improvements across multiple seasons.

ok, that makes sense. i’ll try and just log data for when winter training starts in earnest.

millin, you just need to dial in your nutrition atmo

little switzerland.
its a beast of a route and i suffered for my fatness

bump
2x20s today. i think i’m getting better at them

what’s your average power for 20m?